Akai 1720W user manual required

errolgreer

I have an old Akai 1720W reel to reel tape recorder, which has worked beautifully for over 40 years. Just yesterday, while playing a tape it stopped, and now it seems the drive motor has a problem. I need to open it up to check for maybe a broken drive belt or a fuse or whatever. I have downloaded a service manual, but it is not very clear as to how to get into the machine. I really need help, as I have some very historic recordings I would like to transfer to CDs. I live in South Africa by the way.

Not sure how close the 1710 is to the 1720W operationally, but may be close enough to get you by. The 1710 is tubes vs the 1720 being solid state (transistors), but maybe the transport and other functions may be similar.

hfe_akai_1710_en.pdf - Google Drive (note: I purge files in my Google drive occasionally, so this link may not work in a few months or so)

Are you using the 'auto shutoff' feature and if not, is the auto shutoff switch set to disable it? That would be one simple reason why the motor doesn't run.

I still have an old Akai X-1800SD I got back in the mid 60's that still works.

I'm guessing the motor lube has been dried out for decades and decades

yeah its rare motors go out before something else. if you can take the load off the motor and see if the motor shaft spins ithout load might help, lube it up and follow the load devices....belts, cams, pulleys.

If the motor doesnt spin up without a load maybe a fuse...I have changed a few motors though low voltage motors are rare, often a belt or piece of plastic worn out.

As for reel to reels specifically, I dont know s^%

yeah its rare motors go out before something else. if you can take the load off the motor and see if the motor shaft spins ithout load might help, lube it up and follow the load devices....belts, cams, pulleys.

If the motor doesnt spin up without a load maybe a fuse...I have changed a few motors though low voltage motors are rare, often a belt or piece of plastic worn out.

As for reel to reels specifically, I dont know s^%

I'm not talking aBOUT THE MOTOR, BUT THE SHAFT LUBE. iT'S THE SAME AS ALL THOSE OTHER LUBED PArts that slow down, stick, or, freeze. On my 770, I don't power the transport section anymore, as the access to the lube felt right behind the front panel is a bear.

dang I cant imagine all the lubing up those things needed. EMI had a staff of engineers tending to all that.
tape splicing? lol

what an art of the times.

Back