Using Alesis dm5 KIT TO TRIGGER SOUNDS N ABLETON VIA MIDI

donaldgillies

Hi all,

Im trying to arrange it so i can use my Alesis DM5 drum kit to trigger kick and snare noises i have made in ableton. So far i have put the sounds in to a Drum rack and i can trigger them with the macs keyboard using the keyboard midi option. How do i set it up so i can trigger these noises with my kit? i HAVE PLUG IT IN to the MIDI OUT FROM THE kit and to the midi in on the sound card. I get a signal from the kit when i hit it but only only the wee volume bar at the side of the drum rack. it doesn't trigger any of the drum rack cells though so i can't just drag and drop the sound in to the right cell. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks folks.

Not 100% sure I am understanding your problem, but it probably is a mapping issue. The drum rack in Ableton has a grid that corresponds to the MIDI notes (C1 through 4omewhere at the top Cx) find where where your MIDI notes from the source are hitting (look at the DM5 drum mapping in the manual), once you have that, put your drum samples in the corresponding MIDI note in the grid.

DM5 MIDI Mapping this looks like a page from the manual. Looks like for example Bb1 is what is used from the Hi Hat. Look at the drum kit, find Bb1 and put your hihat sample there (or what ever you want) and then when you hit the DM5 hihat, it shoudl trigger the sound. For now, set all channels open in Ableton.

That should get you started.

Back