Should I Upgrade from Live 8 to Live 9

Shepherd Jim

Warning: this is a REAL NEWBIE question. I considered posting it in the Forum's "Newbie" area but it IS a bit too specific for that,

I purchased Live 8 a couple of years ago. Dutifully installed it and then pretty much forgot about it. I've been doing other things (Eg. field recording, playing with iPad synths) and knew I faced a steep learning curve with much time to be spent watching tutorials, etc.

Okay, I'm now about to dedicate myself to BEGINNING the process of learning Ableton Live.

Question: What are the negatives, if any, of me getting up to speed with Live 8 at this point in time? Am I really doing myself a disservice by not moving up to Live 9 — especially noting that currently the upgrade is on "Holiday Special" at a 20% discount. Maybe it makes way more sense for me to spend the $$$ and just lear Live 9 vs. learning Live 8 and THEN having to go through the whole process again with Live 9???

I'm a hobbyist playing on my own so do not have to up-to-date/current. But, I do understand that many times new versions of software represent real improvments which it would be ignorant to not take advantage of.

Please be kind!

Jim, Mid-Coast Maine, USA

I used 8 and then upgraded to 9. It is finally stable for me. So the software is now good on that front. There are a few features that is nice with 9, like analog to MIDI conversion. That is the only thing I can think of since I have been on it so long. The main reason I purchased it was for 64 bit. Even though it doesn't do true 64 bit, it does allow to take advantage of more RAM. The 32 bit is limited to the 4K. Other than that, you gain nothing with the 64 bit version. If you have 4+GB RAM, it will use it with the 64 bit version.

One thing to note, if you go 64, and you have 32 bit VSTs, they will not work with Ableton unless you purchase a bridging software. It is like $10 but you have to have the bridge to use your 32 bit VSTs. Most VSTs are 64 now, and it is not as much of an issue.

I can't really provide any other reasons other than the above. Hope it helps.

I got Live 8 Lite with my Q49 keyboard but was using, and trying to get to grips with Reaper at the time so, like you, I was missing out on the ease of use and intuitiveness of Live. I finally got around to trying it and, within a couple of weeks, upgraded to Live 9 Standard and then Suite. I'm not suggesting that you do the same as it's an expensive route.

Looking at what the Ableton site says is new in version 9:

1) Dual monitor support. I don't have two monitors but if I did, I'd definitely count this as a plus. But not that much of a plus, since Ableton designed Live's features to tuck away when you don't need them but to be a single click away when you do.

2) Record automation into clips. Edit automation with curves. This first option is brilliant! And it goes further than you might think. Not only can you put, e.g., your filter automation inside the clip itself and have it loop whenever the clip does, you can also unlink the automation from the clip's length and have it continue for considerably longer than the clip. And if you copy that clip from Session into Arrangement view, the automation goes with it and is applied to the timeline. And the ability to apply a curve to any automation (not just in clips) is also a good addition. Most of the time I don't want a straight-line increase or decrease, I prefer either a sharp but decelerating ramp or the opposite.

3) New browser. This is a very important upgrade. Not just because you can add more locations as 'folders', but because of the improved searching. The browser is now a joy to work with.

4) New instrument racks and sounds. Always useful. And with Suite I got even more of these, which is one of the main reasons I splashed out on it.

5) Upgraded effects. The Glue Compressor is something I'd now find difficult to live without. I treat all of my drums separately then put them through a submix (i.e. group them) and put the Glue Compressor on the group track and with a couple of tweaks the sound just comes together nicely. And the GC also works really well on the master track. And the EQ8's display makes it easy to work with. There are other improvements that I didn't get to experience because I used version 8 so little.

6) Converting audio to MIDI. This is another great addition to Live. For example, I can take a drum loop sample, convert it to a drum instrument together with the MIDI clip, substitute some drum sounds for my own but keep the rhythm and groove of the original, then layer that with some more sounds, e.g. a second kick, some toms or bongos, and make it sound like my own. And if I've got an idea for a tune but little time to make notes on it, I can sing, hum, or even beat-box it into Live and convert it to samples and a MIDI clip.

7) Extra stuff. MIDI editing is now easier. If you automate a clip and then warp it, the automation is 'pinned' to the sample and moves with it. And when you edit the automation, you now set a breakpoint with a single click.

All of this stuff was definitely a good stack of reasons for me to upgrade, but I should point out that I'm using the 32-bit version. One day I'll get around to installing the 64-bit versions of my VSTs and get the benefit of a lot of extra memory. I don't need it at the moment, though.

Version 9 will no doubt be cheaper again at some point in the future, but in your place I'd be thinking about whether I'm likely to be able to afford it when that happens. Good luck with your decision.

Hey David and Garry!

A BIG Thank you both for your complete and detailed replies!

In the end I decided that if I'm about to start climbing a steep learning curve I should climb the most current curve available. I took the Ableton "Holiday Discount" bait and upgraded to Live 9 Standard.

Live 9 is downloaded, installed and authorized.

I'm wondering if I need to also download all the packs that are available in the same are as the Live 9 installer. Also not sure if any of the packs, etc are had for Live 8 will be automatically be accessible by Live 9. I had checked that it would be okay and left Live 8 installed while setting 9.

Again! Thank you for helping me come to a decision!! Wish me luck!

Jim

You can download every pack that's shown as free when you're logged into the Ableton site. Whether you should or not is up to you. You could start by downloading the ones that look like they might be useful for whatever you're working on currently. I just set aside an evening and downloaded the lot. In Live 9 they show up under Packs in the Places list in the browser, and individual instruments, samples, loops, and so on, appear under the relevant heading.

After I upgraded, I found that Live 9 had a section in Places in the browser called Live 8 Library and it seemed to be intact.

Good luck and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. You might also want to join the Ableton Forum. Most people there are helpful, but for a couple of days now it has been undergoing some post-bombing by someone who has some kind of grudge against another member. Only seems to happen at weekends, though.

Back