Problem w/ Behringer XR18 into Ableton on Mac

LeFace

First post, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just got the Behringer XR18, running through a mini-mac. I had no issues running a 12 channel Alesis board with my current mac and ableton version. When I first power on the mixer and select my input channel in Live, I get a good tone for about 10 seconds. Then it changes to a weird pulsing latent sound. Any actual tone from the Hammond Sk1 is unrecognizable. Tested with Roland JunoG, and tone coming from monitor is identical. Here is what I have tried:

-Run DAW direct with mixer, not using X Air Edit software
-Run DAW with X Air Edit, output of DAW set to Mac 3.5mm and monitored through headphones
-Run both versions above with monitor off, and recorded. Problem persists on playback
-Increase/Decrease Buffer Size. Improves the problem on increase, but even at 2048 the tone is still unrecognizable.
-High Quality Sample rate. No effect
-Driver Error Compensation. No effect
-Reduced Latency When Monitoring. No effect
-Change out for faster USB cable. No effect
-Test multiple channels, cables, and input instruments. No luck
-Checked for drivers from Behringer, none needed for mac
-Mixer firmware updated

My mac is 5 years old and only has 4GB memory, but I had no issues with the Alesis mixer so I'm struggling to think it's just a slow computer. CPU usage is at 1-2% when I'm playing a single audio track and getting the weird sound. The only time I don't get the sound is in the first 10 seconds after I power on the mixer. I feel like I'm missing something very simple here...ayudame por favor. Thanks

Last edited:
Are you using a phone/tablet to control the Behringer? Disabled wi-fi, backups, etc. on the Mini?

If you could post the raw recording it *might* help. I realize your post count prohibits that, but you can just put it somewhere like SoundCloud, Dropbox, etc., and post the part of the hyperlink minus the base URL and we can put it together.

Just curious about the setup - not an Ableton user, but if your Mini is one of the last few still capable of user-upgradeable memory, I'd recommend it. (My 2012 model has 16GB.)

Which version of OSX are you using?

Also, IIUC, you are using different devices for input and output? Try using only the XR18 for both. That is, if you haven't tried that yet.

You might want to walk through this video and check off the to do's before going crazy trying to troubleshoot...

There's always the chance you got a defective unit...but the odds are small that is the case...

Good luck! I just picked an xr18 up but haven't had a chance to mess with it yet...

YouTube

Keith was right...dropped in 16gb of ram and now it's perfect. So many hours wasted but lesson learned.

Back