Looper Recording and Monitoring

pnb1

Hello, everyone

First of all sorry for, I believe stupid and easy-solvable problem, but this really got me frustrated :)

I am trying to record several layers of audio by using Looper. I want to hear myself in the headphones without delay.
You can see my configuration below:
View attachment 91085
I am using Behringer Xenyx 302 USB device with MIC and headphones in. LINE/USB points from USB PLAY to PHONES.

View attachment 91086
When I am recording i hear a delay in my earphones. If I turn off the monitoring - delay is gone, but nothing is recorded.
Is there any workaround?

Thanks in advance!ableton2.jpg

Attachments

• ableton1.png
    ableton1.png
    78 KB · Views: 15
Couple of things. You should be monitoring from your Behringer and if Behringer has an ASIO driver, you should use the driver provided. ASIO4ALL is a hack to get consumer cards to work as an ASIO device.

Once you have that setup, do a search to learn how to calibrate the latency for your interface (There might be a "how to in Ableton help). That will give you an idea of the numbers to plug into latency compensation.

You should be doing all of your monitoring from the Behringer. Not sure why you have the Realtek highlighted, but it should be used unless you just want to listen through it after the recording. But you can't select it and the Behringer. Best option is, select the Behringer, use it as your recording and monitoring device, plug your headphones into that and make sure the Behringer is setup correctly.

Hello, Thanks for your reply.

Highlighting Realtek has no effect since it is disabled. I am using Behringer only. I also have downloaded Behringer drivers. They seem quite plain. Is it possible that this mixer is just crappy? I remember reading somewhere that there is no way unprocessed signal may not be heard natively on this interface.

Reading amazon review I also have read " The only minuses (but it is a normal for this price) that microphone goes directly to main mux, and can't be disconnected. And the second is that recording is taken from main mix."

As I said before I want to record vocals using Looper, then hear those recorded vocals in my earphones as I am recording another layer of vocals. The problem is I hear annoying echo. My concern is Why does it not record when I disable monitoring in Ableton.
1-11-2015 12-15-43 PM.png

The echo you are hearing is most likely latency. Click on the ASIO tab and look at the buffer settings. The higher the number, the larger the buffer and more latency. Select a smaller number. However, if you start hearing clicks, you will need to increase the buffer. Usually 512 is a decent number that has no clicks and little latency. You will have to experiment with the best setting for you.

When monitoring direct recording, there is going to be some delay. You either get use to it, or you do direct monitoring and bypass effects. That is the trade off. But, try the buffer settings and see how it works.

Back