This last week

D

dintymoore

I've been upgrading, actually re-doing my live cyber band routine. For a few decades I've been playing around town. I've been using a Mac to blow a Roland SC-8850, which is an all-in-one sound module. Since I got into this MIDI shit in 1983 there have been a number of big shifts where I had to redo my stuff. This last week or so I spent over 100 hrs on Ableton.

I had been using QMidi on stage for about 7 years. It is an incredible program. If Ableton Live! is $300 then QMidi should be $3000 but it's $15. For one man bands I haven't seen anything that even comes close. Since '83 I programmed probably around 800 songs, and wrote charts for maybe 500 of them. I go to gigs with 350 songs on QMidi, here's what the screen looks like:

QMIDI.jpg

QMidi gives you instant access to your songs, and calls up the words etc... It works flawlessly. I create the songs on Cubase VST24 v4.1r2. I have Cubase SX3 and 4 but still prefer the older OS 9 version for MIDI.

Here's what I've been up to in Ableton Live, I've got about 60 dance tunes chopped and diced in there:

LIVE.jpg

I've got some of the songs chopped up. I didn't store any tempos with the songs, so I can jump from tune to tune and make up arrangements.

Songs titles with an "@" after them are loops and go until something else is cued.

There's no count ins, except with at least a kick drum. So the idea is that I go on stage and the kick pulse starts and doesn't stop for a few hours. In a way like a disco or rave party - where's my pacifier?

Getting the tunes into Live was a trip. Live is very unfinished MIDI-wise. For some reason they have not made their program 100% MIDI compatable, and worse, you have to discover what's missing and what's not for yourself. I have been talking to them for over a year and they keep releasing versions with the same errors in them so I plan on ditching Ableton Live the second something new (from Steinberg please!!!) comes out.

That being said, the monster I've made is pretty incredible. You don't know what's going to happen when you go on stage (in a good way :) ). It's sure NOT "playing along with tracks". Fuck I hate that expression and the whole concept of "using tracks". That's too much like playing the radio. With this I can start a song, at the solo go into another song, then back to another song... a song can be 2 bars one night and 2 hours the next.

Here's what I had to do to any song I wanted to not loop:

liveedit.jpg

1. make sure that this is global so when a song is playing and you trigger a new one that the bars will flow
2. this is the last bar in the song
3. this down arrow means to go to the next song
4. doesn't matter, it's for probabilities which I'll add later
5. this is the end of track, the bar after the last bar in the song
6. "Loop" needs to be off
7. this is the MSB, the CC# 000 or the variation # on my Roland
8. this is the LSB, the CC# 032 or the instrument map on my Roland
9. on my Roland, this is the actual program change #

Note that this is all what I did for my system. I don't use any audio loops and I make up all my MIDI tracks to trigger a Roland SC-8850. I also use Steven Slate drums just for the kick and snare.

I also found out that Ableton seems to completely ignore any Sys Ex messages in a track.

Last edited:
Feel like sharing those midi files??

I too have tried Ableton, just can't wrap my head around it. I'm still using Sonar and a Yamaha Mu100r with boards XGEdit for sounds.

Can you explain chopping up your midi files and dropping them into Ableton? What controller are you using for Ableton?

Here's Ableton up and running in session view (green arrow is where you select session view):
TINTROSMFPS.jpg

That "TELEPHONE intro" below Ableton is on the computer's desktop - I'm using a Mac, but hopefully that won't matter. It's a standard midi file I saved in Cubase. It's just the intro of the song. When I drag it like the red line shows and release it where the red "X" is, then it will expand into this (circled in blue below):
AFTERDROPPEDPS2.jpg

The area I've circled in green is (are?) the different output channels. When you press the arrow I've circled in red all the "clips" (as Ableton calls them) will play. A clip is just a standard midi file in my case. All my tracks go out to Roland sound module and that's what I take to gigs.

When I sequence the song, I saved it in sections like intro, verse etc... all as separate standard midi files.

There's some controls in Ableton so you can make the section, like the intro I did above, either just play and stop, or go on to the next section, or loop, etc... and that's why I put up with Ableton because truthfully it's been awkward but I like the end result. :)

I'm using an Evolution MK-461C keyboard. You could use most anything. I've programmed it so that I have the master volume, a few track volumes, the kick & snare & bass volume on my keyboard. I just added controls to scroll Ableton, adjust the tempo and start the song. so I really don't have to touch the computer much.

This last thing was that I took a bunch of songs that were around 120 bpm, and put them all on Ableton and didn't set the tempos. The idea was that a song that grooves at 122 can groove at 120 or 125, so now I can play a song and then go to another one and basically make up sections of songs into a dance groove that is 1 minute or 5 hours long. Then I did the same for dance tunes that were around 130 bpm. Seems like you have those two basic ranges.

The basic thing of Ableton is artificial intelligence. Where it will end is that when I die, all of my life's musical experiences, my licks, my totally biased preferences and flaws will all be loaded into a computer. That's where it's going, and Ableton addresses it, none of the others do. Cubase tried with their IPS in the 90's and no one got it. Believe it or not, the obnoxious Band-in-a-Box program showed some better attributes towards this than most of the legit programs.

Where it will end is that when I die, all of my life's musical experiences, my licks, my totally biased preferences and flaws will all be loaded into a computer.
That's gotta be my new tag line.......

Thanks for the explanation, I can't see the pictures here at work, but will check it out tonight. I get the no-looping concept, great idea by the way.

You say Ableton doesn't send the sysex you've embedded in the midi files? That's almost a deal breaker for me as this XG stuff is pretty finicky. The level of instrumet adjustment possibilities are endless, but they demand pretty hefty sysex strings to instantiate.

Yes, Ableton is absolutely fucked as far as MIDI. They won't tell you WTF is up with it and you just have to figure it out as you go. For reasons unknown they DO NOT have the regular ol' MIDI Implementation chart. :confused:

Cryptically, in the manual they say that it accepts "most controllers up to 119". "most"? And no Sys Ex - all fitered out. It will not respond to any program changes after the first one in a SMF! It even has a big problem with pretty much any program changes - it invents stuff you didn't program.

Plus it "invents stuff". example: if in the 2nd bar of a SMF you have a CC#074 = 052, it will stick in a CC#074 = 000 at the first of the track, and you won't hear anything until the track gets the CC#074 = 052 message in bar 2. As result I put a CC#074 = 064 at the first of each track, as well as CC#123 = 000 and CC#121 = 000 just to be safe.

I have been emailing them to no avail for over a year and the worst part is that they won't even supply a list of what it will and won't do MIDI-wise, I truly don't think that they know and that the company is floundering.

I keep on hoping that Cubase will ad Ableton's features so I can shit can it.

In short, the program has amazing promise, but as it stands right now, it's a fuckin' nightmare.

You are correct of course. I played around with Ableton last night. Thanks for the tip on how to drag midi files into the clips pane.

What a frickin' nightmare. I didn't want to mess around with hooking up the hardware, so I just loaded a few soft-synths up to mess around with. I've got a lot of time invested in learning Cakewalk and Sonar, and I can't imagine why I would switch to Ableton for anything midi.

I just started messing around with KaraFun and am having pretty good luck, but that Qmidi looks archaic and cool at the same time.

Ableton does have some unique stuff -that's why I'm using it.

One that I haven't delved into yet, and they did have this on Band-in-the -Box, is probabilities.

You can set it up so that every time a song plays, it could play bass part A or bass part B. And bass part B could be bass part C or D. And it all has probability ratios that you can assign. So that each time the song played, the combinations would be different and the song would be different.

That could be used in a subtle way. You could have a song and each night the drums and bass could be just slightly different.

You can stack the probabilities. Like 30% of the time it will play 8 bar phrase A, and 70% it will play B. But B could be 40% C and 60% D, and D could be 50% E and 50% F. The song would always be different and you wouldn't live long enough to hear all the possibilities.

Ray Kurzweil talks about how in the future that reality and the cyber world will be indistinguishable, and that's what this is heading towards. And then when they can actually download someone's "life" into it, it will be indistinguishable, and you'll be able to download a dead bass player and have him play on your track.

It will get to the point where you'll actually be able to meet that bass player and you won't be able to tell if it's real or Memorex.

LOL. A good friend of mine was working with CreamWare on software to sample syllables, formants, vibrato, attack of the great singers. With it you'd be able to make Sinatra, Elvis, or Nat King Cole sing totally new songs! The whole project got tabled for some reason he was never quite clear on.

Back