How to Write Automation for Controlled Parameter in Live 9.5

BruceWheeling

Hi Everyone! This is my first post.

I just moved from Reaper to Live 9.5. In Reaper, I could for instance set its parameter modulation lfo to modulate a gain knob. And then set the track to write those gain knob movements onto the automation lane, and then remove the parameter modulation.

In Live, I figured out how to write the automation while moving knobs around as a test. Where I'm stuck is that I want Live to record the automation of a gain knob that is being controlled by an LFO or the Max for Live envelope follower. In the arrangement view, the parameter being controlled is grayed out for automation. When I hover the mouse over the gain knob, it says it's disabled. Is it possible to write automation to a parameter that's being controlled by another so that I can print it and remove the modulating plugin once I'm done?

Thanks for your responses!

Bruce

Not 100% sure of the question, but it sounds like you want to map a controller to the gain. Then you would automate the LFO modulation. When you want to record MIDI (That is really what the automation is), you hit record on top to record the automation live.

I hope that helps.

Not 100% sure of the question, but it sounds like you want to map a controller to the gain. Then you would automate the LFO modulation. When you want to record MIDI (That is really what the automation is), you hit record on top to record the automation live.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply. To be more detailed, I have an envelope follower controlling a gain knob on a vocal track. Because of the envelope follower, when the vocal track gets louder the gain knob is automatically turned down. Basically a simple vocal rider. In reaper, if I turned the track automation setting to "Write", Reaper will record the movement of the gain knob. I like to see my track automation written out in the lanes for further editing and not just hoping the envelope follower performs the exact same way with no glitches when I'm ready to bounce the track. I feel more in control that way.

I'm pretty sure now that Live can't do this. I've also learned how much I took Reaper's routing ability for granted. I'll be using both for the strengths each offer.

Thanks again :)

Back