How can I put effects on MIDI output in Ableton Live 8.12

Dear Anyone.

I'm disabled so everything's MIDI and mouse for me. I use a notation program which I've MIDI Yoked to Ableton Live 8.1. I've only just got the package - legit, it's not cracked, just secondhand - and after a day's strugling managed to set up one multitimbral instrument with 4 MIDI tracks in in it and send MIDI from my notation program to each of the tracks, using 4 instruments.

Now in my notation package, it's easy to do effects - you just choose a plugin and dump it on the track with the instrument on it you want to edit - EQ for instance, or Compression. So I dropped an effect on the appropriate MIDI track in Ableton and the track just went silent. Plug in on the track, no sound output. Plug in deleted, sound output restored! So I thought 'Fine, you must have to route the sound output from the MIDI track to a sound channel and put the effects on the sound channel.

Except I can't find a way to do it. I've got 1 instance of a multitimbral synth - Edirol Orchestral - 4 instruments from that instance playing perfectly in 4 MIDI tracks and I can't for the life of me see how to put effects on the sounds being output. There's no obvious way to route the sounds to a sound track that I can see.

Please, how the ***** do you put effects on MIDI generated sound in Ableton Live 8.1?

Yours hopefully - spent 14 hours trying to do that today! -

Chris.

Back