Casio LK-44/MIDI & Ableton Live

Turbo123T3

Hello, I have produced music before. But never to the extent that i intend to soon. I am a hobbyist Nerdcore Hip Hop artist and i want to start out my real first song with a bang. I have made many Instrumentals in my day but never sat down to do MIDI. So i looked around and updated my Software to Ableton Live 8. I also am wanting to use a rather OLD keyboard made by Casio (LK-44) It is a keyboard that lights up... My mom bought it for me awhile back... :)

What i need to know is, I understand what MIDI is but i am stumped on how to get my MIDI keyboard to play in Ableton Live. I have watched TONS of tutorials and read stuff but nothing matches exactly what i am looking for.

I bought a USB MIDI cord LINK: http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-MIDI-Key...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518ac98ea0

That is the exact one i have bought. Now it plugs in just fine to both my PC & Keyboard, But i cannot actually figure out how to make them work. I know the device is being detected because when i plug in the USB port it goes "DINK" & same with when i take it out. Also the far left light (Red) is always lit when i plug it in. But the middle (Yellow) and far right (Green) won't light up? I guess there Power In & Out?

Also i believe i have this right let me ask this as well. So i can do it 1 of 2 ways. I can either buy a syth and have the actual sounds go from my keyboard to Ableton or i can use Synth's in Ableton correct? & if so which is better for just plain recording music in Ableton? NO LIVE GIGS! :)

Thanks for any help you can give me. I am excited to really do MIDI!

EDIT:

Actually now that i think of it i do have a few more questions,

Does MIDI use "Loops" or "Beats" or do i actually have to use something like a MIDI file?

Where would i get more Loops,Beats,MIDI Files? for free and or not too expensive. :) after all this is a hobby! :)

How do i make it so EACH key on my keyboard does a sound/beat. That's so far what i think MIDI is but i guess this would require an actual Synth? If so could you link me to a good one maybe $50-$150 (Then again cheaper is better not sure how much they go for)

Can i use my built-in keyboard sounds? This keyboard is actually for training. But i could care less right now to actually learn the piano. I just want to make music on my PC. :P

Thanks again for any help!

Last edited:
Back