Can't drag/drop audio files (windows 8)

fozzybear

Hey guys,

So I'm finally getting around to doing some tunes on this new laptop I got a few months ago with windows 8.

I was able to get Abelton installed fine, but then I went to drag and drop some samples to fidget with, and I just get that no smoking sign.

So I did some googling and it appears it has something to do with Admin rights? Okay

So I create a user with no admin rights and I still can't do it :(

Do a little more reading and I find a registry patch (?) that makes it so you don't even really have admin/user stuff anymore, and that was supposed to fix it but it didn't either.

I'm like :confused::cursing::rolleyes::mad:

Any ideas?

I've not used the program with 8, but I find dragging them has never worked in 7, or I never figured out how to. So, I just copy and paste. Now, if you have it in a folder and you set Ableton to index that folder (Where you can have a folders for inside the App), drag works.

I've not used the program with 8, but I find dragging them has never worked in 7, or I never figured out how to. So, I just copy and paste. Now, if you have it in a folder and you set Ableton to index that folder (Where you can have a folders for inside the App), drag works.

Oh yea! THat's another thing... when I add a folder to my "Places" there's no files in them. None. I even have to add subfolders for them to show, but even when I do, no files within them.

Oh yea! THat's another thing... when I add a folder to my "Places" there's no files in them. None. I even have to add subfolders for them to show, but even when I do, no files within them.

Make sure you hit rescan in preferences. I did a plug in update, then turned on Ableton, but they didn't show up. Well, I went through all of the crap figuring out what happened, then as a last resort, I hit rescan for some unknown reason and it popped up. So, try that as it does it for the folders. If that doesn't work, you have something wonky going on.

What version are you on? I've been using 9 (64) and the latest update. Early 9 was not very stable.

9.1.3 is the version I think

I found a rescan plugins button under "file folder" in preferences but that didn't do anything

Here's more info that might help.

WHen I start Ableton it says: "WIndows cannot access the specifed device, path or file. You may not have the approrieate permissions to access the item.

Path is C:\programdaa\ableton\live 9 suite\resources\extensions\index\ableto..... cant see the rest

I don't have to be able to drag and drop .wav/mp3s.... but I have to be able to use them SOMEhow :(

*sigh*

What you typed may be a typo, if not, that path message is wrong. C:\programdaa can't be correct. Should be c:\programdata\...

I think that is just a typo, but if it isn't that would be a big issue. Double check that path. Next, make sure you have that path complete. If something has been renamed, like a folder or something, then it will throw an error. The resources would be the directory where the application calls module programs, so it is required for helping the application.

There are a couple of different ways to try and solve this, repair (sometimes I have seen this not work) or reinstall. But the more sure way would be, (this sucks), uninstall, clean the registry with something like CCleaner (if you're not aware there is a free version, works pretty good, make sure it is from the company website), delete the directory Ableton so nothing is left over (or Ableton 9 directory) because it will not overwrite certain files and reinstall. That is the cleanest.

If you want to troubleshoot, with no guarantee of success, you need to trace down that path error and get it corrected. I feel this could be a prime suspect on your other issues.

P.S. Did you try from explorer to copy and paste to a track (have the track already there). Copy the file, bring up Ableton, make sure you have selected a audio track, and right click on your mouse to paste. That should work because that is a Windows function, not an Ableton function.

it was a typo, sorry. there should be a way to copy and paste windows errors (there prob is and I just don't know it). There was more after the ... but I didn't know how to make it show

just tried to copy and paste an mp3 into an audio track and it played fine and the default bpm, which was signficanly faster than the original bpm of the song. So that seems to be working correctly.

I didn't notice that windows error at the setup but I'm sort of out of it and am so used to clicking it off that it might've popped up and I didn't notice it.

going to run ccleaner (which I alreayd have installed) and malwarebytes, but my little brother, who has helped me even get this far, has helped me keep my lappy pretty virus free.

I don't think you have a virus, but could be the registry has some issues. If you can figure out how to get that path error fixed, you shouldn't be getting that.

Drag and drop I've had issues with, so I just copy and past.

Back