beginners/books

paresh

Hi guys - I'm a rank beginner to Ableton...just looking at the possibilities. I use Sonar. I'm starting the lessons they include but it's slow! I seem to do better with books - any you can recommend? I'm mainly interested in using it as a sequencer/arrangement view as opposed to live use. Thanks!!

Using it in Arrangement view (traditional view) is pretty much the same as most DAWs. Knowing where everything is will be the learning curve. The Help that is included is really good. They also have some tutorials that come with it. Open up help view or go to the website and walk through them.

If you already work with a DAW, I say a couple of intense days and you will be up and running on the basics. I don't know of any books as I just read the user's manual and researched. But I didn't have a clue to begin with, so that made it easy (to ignorant to know what I didn't know). Looks like you have been doing it awhile.

Biggest differences: Loops - you can have everything turned into a loop, once you set the loop, you just drag it. You can non-destructive edit the wave files (fades, reduce peaks etc.) without touching the actual wave. If you record in session view, you can record that to Arrangement by pressing the clips and it will record in real time (really nice when starting a new song). The do not use Sends, but Returns, but every track can technically be a return.

Automation will be a big hurdle, it has a lot of options and you can record your automation.

Walk through the manual and ask here, I think we can cover you pretty decent. I wish I could help you with a good book, I just don't know of any.

As David said, the manual is pretty good. I also liked Ableton Live 9 Power by Jon Margulies.

I read a few pages from the book. This looks like it would be a very good "go-to" book. I think Paresh when you see the full power of Live, you might want to take it on stage with you ;)

Ha ha - I'm retired fr the stage...just home recording. But I'm interested in a change of work-flow for new ideas. I'll check out the book.

Back