Assigning BPM after recording?

cwithkutty

Ok I apologize in advance if this doesn't make sense, I'm trying real hard to explain this correctly:

I am a 'fidget-drummer', so I make my drum beats without thinking or planning much of the BPM beforehand. This works great for live drumming, analog, what have you. But I can't play to a click track, it's this weird thing, I just am better off with silence.

Often I will be feeling in the moment with a beat, turn on record, tap out what I think my bpm is, and record. 100% of the time I am so off and I cant quantize without a ton of effort. Not off in my syncopation, but the bpm line-up.

My question is this: Can I somehow record into a 'default' bpm, and then adjust the bpm while my notes DO NOT move on the timeline at all? Not sure if I am explaining this sufficiently.

My theory with this is that I can 'freeze' the syncopation of my midi notes, and then 'match' my actual bpm to what I ended up playing. Have a feeling I'm overthinking and missing something simple.

Thanks guys

I am assuming MIDI drums? You could always record your drum parts to an analog track and then work with the BPM.

You might also be confusing BPM with the time signature. I am working on a song, had the BPMs working, playing to a click, but the measures were just way off, nothing was lining up the way they should. Changed the measure signature (7/8) and behold, it looked perfect. Try looking at the time signature see if it doesn't help a little.

Many of us that are non-trained are so use to 4/4 that if we create something different, we think it is a timing issue. Fiddle with your in the master signature and in your recording (it will default to the master that it was recorded in). See if that helps.

Also, you can change the BPM in the track and see where it lines up. Once you have the BPM and signature correct, it doesn't hurt to re-record. When starting out, first take is often a throw away in the end. Easier just to do it over once you are settled in rather than fix it.

Back