Ableton tutorials / lessons

prawn_86

Hi All,

First post so go easy, i have run a couple searches but didnt get anything specific back.

I am a hobbyist just at the very beginning playing around with Ableton. I was wondering if there are any tutorials that cover fof how to make a song or a cover step by step? I know the very basics but now, same as learning any other instrument, i would like to 'play' cover versions while i get my head around things

Any help appreciated

Thanks

For Ableton there are two approaches, one in Session view and the other in Arrangement view. The session view is primarily for the recording and manipulation of loops. It works with clips and scenes. Arrangement view is your more traditional recording. It is linear and works more or less like other DAWs. You can record from session to arrangement to get a take. Session is mainly for free form and arrangement is what you would use for a final recording.

With that said, start with session view as that is the main reason to own Ableton. Especially if you want to take advantage of loops and it is good start for putting together a song. If you just want to record some straight covers, then do a search on Arrangement view recording.

You can also take advantage of lessons that come with Ableton. Not sure I really helped, but the longest part of any journey is the first step.

Prawn,
I am also new to DAW / Ableton Live and Sonar X3.
There is a ton of stuff out on YouTube but I was struggling with the same issues when I first started using the software.
Couple of things that helped me was the Info View in the browser, as you hover over things info will pop up in the info view. The best way to get familiar with the software is jump in and just mess around with stuff.
Get your basic Audio / MIDI interfaces connected and working. Then you can also run the tutorials that come with the app.
As you get more used to the software, you will start to notice how powerful and versatile it is.

Good Luck, and keep plugging away. Eventually the light will come on as it has started to glow a little bit for me after about 4 weeks of working with it.

Ok, so I just recorded one guitar track on Ableton Live Lite 9 (came with my Focusrite 2i4). Now what? How to add drums, effect, eq?

You could take a look at SadowickProduction's YouTube videos for a fairly complete course. It covers a great deal of what you can do with Ableton, but not necessarily in the order you want it. You might prefer to search YouTube for "ableton drums" then "ableton effects", "ableton eq" and so on.

I spoke with Help in Berlin Monday. I was told that Reaper would probably be a better fit for what I'm doing.

Back