TASCAM US-1800 Refuses to work properly

BaneInstitution

I am literally on my knees at this point because I've bought 2 of these things and they absolutely refuse to work properly.

Basically the main symptom I am experiencing with this thing now is that whenever I turn it on it works perfectly for about 20 seconds (sometimes less, sometimes more). The sound quality is clear and there is near-zero latency. However after these 20 seconds have elapsed the sound will rapidly degrade into a horrible, inaudible graininess that lasts for about 15 seconds, after which it clears and reverts to working fine again, except the latency will now be awful (literally a 1.5 second delay. Not just in my DAW- every sound that comes from my computer is delayed, rendering videos out of sync etc).
At this point it will be working perfectly and will be completely stable, except for this unacceptable and pathetic latency.

Here's a list of stuff I've tried and some other relevant information;

- It is plugged directly into the wall (not into a power strip).
- It is plugged into a USB 2 port using the supplied cable.
- I have tried other cables with the same (sometimes diminished) result.
- I have also tried a variety of USB ports with the same result.
- It is sat on top of my studio rack at the moment, on a flat wooden surface. I have also tried it on my desk with the same result.
- It is properly ventilated, both from the top and rear.
- The relevant 64bit drivers are installed correctly and up to date.
- I have 16gb of ram installed.
- It is properly set up in all of my DAWs.
- Presently (other than my keyboard and mouse) it is the only thing plugged into my PC via USB.
- It is plugged directly into a port on my computer, and is not going through a USB hub.
- It is not plugged into any other audio hardware save or my headphones and monitor speakers (both of which I know to be functioning and very reliable).
- Nothing else (microphones, etc.) is plugged into it.
- It is the default playback device in my control panel.
- No other audio drivers are installed.
- I have experimented with all the settings in the Tascam control panel. They either do the exact same thing or nothing at all.
- I am testing it with only one application open (Ableton or iTunes) and the result is the same.
- I have followed the instructions in the manual to the letter, from setting up to usage.
- I've tried it in my laptop whereby it works better, but the sound will occasionally drop out and start popping for a few seconds.

The irony is, I bought this to replace my cheap $12 behringer audio interface, but the TASCAM is being outperformed in nearly every category.
I am seriously at the end of my chain with this, I've invested huge amounts of time and money trying to get this stupid bloody thing to work but I have absolutely nothing to show for it.

I will honestly and sincerely give 50 quid to the paypal of the person who gives me the advice that gets this working.

Sorry to hear all of your trouble with the interface. Sounds like you have tried just about everything I could think of.

You may just be one that got a rare defective unit. :(

Well, I have a Tascam and Ableton, no issues as of yet. Two doing the same thing leads me to believe you've got something wrong.

Testing in Ableton and iTunes are not the same (I am assuming you are using Win7 or above?)

Not to insult, but we need to walk through this step by step.

First, as you've mentioned, you have one (only one unit) plugged straight into the hub
Before bringing up Ableton, turn on the Tascam.
Next, in Ableton, make sure you have ASIO device selected (I will assume you are comfortable doing this)
Then select Tascam
Select Configure Hardware and put the latency to normal (we may can try to reduce later)
In Ableton do a quick test make sure you're sound is coming out correctly.

I have used this little Tascam on crappy hardware and decent hardware with several interfaces connected (not using at the same time), in Ableton and Reaper, and to date, it works flawless. So, your machine or setup is suspect. I'm not a Tascam rep, just saying it works really well.

After the above is set and you are still having issues, check CPU usage (top right corner in Ableton or hardware monitor on the OS), you might have something running causing issues. Walk though this and post back letting us know how you are doing.

Well, I have a Tascam and Ableton, no issues as of yet. Two doing the same thing leads me to believe you've got something wrong.

Testing in Ableton and iTunes are not the same (I am assuming you are using Win7 or above?)

Not to insult, but we need to walk through this step by step.

First, as you've mentioned, you have one (only one unit) plugged straight into the hub
Before bringing up Ableton, turn on the Tascam.
Next, in Ableton, make sure you have ASIO device selected (I will assume you are comfortable doing this)
Then select Tascam
Select Configure Hardware and put the latency to normal (we may can try to reduce later)
In Ableton do a quick test make sure you're sound is coming out correctly.

I have used this little Tascam on crappy hardware and decent hardware with several interfaces connected (not using at the same time), in Ableton and Reaper, and to date, it works flawless. So, your machine or setup is suspect. I'm not a Tascam rep, just saying it works really well.

After the above is set and you are still having issues, check CPU usage (top right corner in Ableton or hardware monitor on the OS), you might have something running causing issues. Walk though this and post back letting us know how you are doing.
Not to insult also, but I don't think you read my first post thoroughly enough; I'm aware that there's a difference between testing in iTunes and Ableton, I was just using them as 2 examples of different applications that are capable of making sound. And for the record, I did have it set up in Ableton exactly as you described. But just for a second take Ableton out of the equation.

What you seem to have misunderstood is that this latency effects ALL AUDIO THAT COMES FROM MY COMPUTER. The latency issue is not exclusive to Ableton. Everything is delayed. Videos are out of sync because the audio is a full second behind the video. System sounds happen almost a full second after they should. And before you ask I have tried all latency settings in the control panel and it does exactly the same thing. (But yes, the audio delay does effect Ableton as well).

I'll spell this out as simply as possible. When I turn the TASCAM on, regardless of whether I'm using Google Chrome, iTunes, Ableton, Cubase, Team Fortress 2 or even Spider Solitaire, it works perfectly for 20 seconds, then goes grainy, and then the latency sets in and delays every sound that comes from my PC until I hard reset it, then the cycle starts again. What is causing this, how can I stop it. I know how to set up an ASIO interface in Ableton. That is not the problem. I completely agree that the fact that I've gone through 2 of these does suggest that the error is mine, but I feel as though I've tried absolutely everything.

And @Jimmys69; I appreciate that, but as rare as this is, I seem to have found 2 TASCAM US-1800s in a row with this exact malfunction, which makes me believe that I'm doing something wrong, but what that is I cannot even begin to imagine.

Last edited:
OK, was trying to help and work through the problem. I think at this point, I will leave you to it as you've seemed to take issue with any assistance that was offered.

And @Jimmys69; I appreciate that, but as rare as this is, I seem to have found 2 TASCAM US-1800s in a row with this exact malfunction, which makes me believe that I'm doing something wrong, but what that is I cannot even begin to imagine.

Do you have another pc you can test the 1800 with? All I can think of is maybe something funky with the computer itself.

What is your system by the way? :)

OK, was trying to help and work through the problem. I think at this point, I will leave you to it as you've seemed to take issue with any assistance that was offered.
I apologise if that's how it came across, that's not at all how I intended it to sound.

Do you have another pc you can test the 1800 with? All I can think of is maybe something funky with the computer itself.

What is your system by the way?

I tried it with my Laptop and it did work much better, but it's still not perfect. The sound would regularly (ever couple of minutes) drop out for a second and would start popping, but otherwise perfect.

I'm using 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, and the laptop I tried it with was 32 bit.

I understand the noise you're describing. My system does that if I leave the tascam on when booting the computer. I never got through the noise, though because I usually hit the off switch on the power strip as soon as it starts...wonder if I should try going through it and see about latency. My latencies run around 6-8ms on the normal latency setting. Never bothered trying for better.

I've got to get the computer completely booted until the red NOT symbol goes away from the speaker at the bottom right of the screen. Then when I turn it on I'd better have the speakers off as it will make LOUD bass thumps for about 3-5 seconds. This has been my number one complaint about this interface. It is REAAALLLYY picky about boot sequence.

My M-Audio was a perfect gentleman, except for the occasional dropout of the Firewire line when watching long movies...

Want to hear my #2 complaint? I don't care, I'm telling it anyway while we're getting stuff off our chests about the US1800. When I render in 88.2/24 I have to reboot the entire system. Works perfectly, but all music from internet, musicbee, dvd, any source plays at double speed...Can't figure out how to make it stop. :(

On my systems (I have tried it on two, Win7 and Win8), I keep the system off until after boot up. Then turn on, and bring up the DAW.

I'm curious if USB 3.0 might be messing with it. I understand you plugged into all the different USB ports, some are 2.0 and some may be 3.0. Maybe go into the BIOS and turn off USB 3.0 and test. In my day job, I've seen 3.0 cause some compatibility problems. It's a shot in the dark.

Other than that, I think there is something installed on your computer that is interfering with the driver. Try removing everything you don't need.

If that doesn't work:

take an image of your current hard drive for safe keeping. I use Runtime Drive Image XML (free, but there is a little workaround for restoring a Win7 image), or any image capture software will work.
Then format your hard drive and do a barebones reload of windows. Don't load anything accept Ableton and the US1800 drivers.

Are you using a power conditioner? Don't really know if that would effect the latency, but maybe the sound?
Oh, you said earlier you have it plugged directly in to the wall.......

Or have you tried a conditioner?

Are you using a power conditioner? Don't really know if that would effect the latency, but maybe the sound?
Oh, you said earlier you have it plugged directly in to the wall.......

Or have you tried a conditioner?

Naw man, a slight fluctuation in AC voltage is not going to have any effect on the interface. Sorry but that does not sound like help for this guy's particular situation here. :/

There does seem to be something within your setup that is causing the issue.

Have you tried steps to optimize your PC for audio performance?

If not or have, take a look at THESE anyway and see if it helps.

BI, We're all trying. If you can give us some feedback on where you're at? Maybe we can scratch our heads a little harder :)
Don't know at this point if any of us are on the right track, but I'm betting a system restore and bare install like Chili recommends is the next step.

Back