Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tascam US-1800 DROP OUTS/PROBLEMS!

saturatedistortion is offline New Member

Tascam US-1800 DROP OUTS/PROBLEMS!

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey everyone I just joined this forum and I'm having some technical difficulties with the 1800. I'll briefly explain what i'm experiencing. Just recently the US-1800 has frequently been dropping out or hiccuping sporadically for the duration of 1-3 seconds when playing back only 4 tracks of audio. I use a Dell Inspiron laptop with Win 7 64-bit, 1st Gen Intel i5 460m @ 2.53 Ghz, 6gb of ram, 500gb hard drive, and I use Cubase LE5. When I use Cubase I disable my wifi adapters, firewall/antivirus, and unneeded graphics. I called Tascam support yesterday and talked to a tech who right off the bat told me my computer(Dells) are not very good. Then he said I could try updating Cubase and using an external, powered usb hub to connect the Tascam. I tried all of this today with still no luck. I've also monitored my computer with the DPC latency checker and have concluded that it is not a latency problem because when the audio drops out there is no rise in latency. I'm guessing that there may be a problem with the unit itself or just not compatible with my cpu. What do you think? I would really appreciate your input. Thanks

p.s. This problem also persists when playing mp3's on windows media player but to a lesser extent

jimmys69 is offline Moderator with long hair
    Do you have a USB3.0 hub on your desktop? If so, try using it for the 1800.
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog

http://www.stricklerstudio.com

No, there are only 3 USB 2.0 ports and 1 eSATA port. Some additional information that may be useful; when the audio drops out during playback, I noticed the output meter on Cubase corresonds to it. The meter shows that audio is not being sent through the main outputs for the duration of the drop out. Hope this helps narrow the problem.

Not sure how I missed that you have a laptop. It has been a crazy week. My experience is mostly with desktops.

If the master outputs are not showing signal, then it would seem that your processor is not keeping up, or drive speed possibly. Does the sound tend to 'fizzle' out, or cut out immediately? Have you increased your buffer size (latency in the Tascam Control Panel)? Another problem could be Auto Save in Cubase, but the default is every 5 min, and I'm not even sure LE5 does that.
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog

fuzzsniffvoyage is offline Force of Nature
    How long have you been using this setup? If you've been using it for say 1 month or more with no problems, and you disable all apps not needed, and you have not recently installed conflicting drivers,,,,,did you do a virus scan? and I'm assuming all of your software is legit....if not that could cause problems.......If all that stuff is good, I'd say swap out the 1800.

I use a lap top with no problems. I don't use Cube, but Sonar with few problems. The only time I get drop outs is when I'm using to many plug ins. and never when I'm playing back mp3's.

It's the playing back of mp3's that makes me think either virus or the 1800.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. During playback the the audio always cuts out immediately. I tried switching the buffer size on the Tascam control up all the way to highest latency but had the same exact problem. I have been using this setup for almost a year, and have been doing more serious multi tracking within the last 4-5 months. Since I first got the Tascam(my first interface) it has always dropped out a little here and there but has become more frequent and consistent over the last 2 weeks. It actually started like this when I tried Reaper for the first time. I recorded 5 audio tracks simultaneously and noticed it dropping out all over the place when playing it back. So I immediately went back to Cubase and noticed it was still doing it but a bit less. This happens even on old Cubase projects which at one time played back perfectly fine. I have no viruses that I know of (scanning now) and everything is up to date. If any program or virus was conflicting with my cpu or my processor was being overworked, wouldn't it show up on the DPC latency detector? This leads me to believe that it is a USB connection issue but I would still like to make sure. I'm also uncertain if there is something incompatible with my laptop's USB hub and the Tascam?? I may have to utilize my GC warranty and replace it with a new unit as last resort.

I would say to go ahead and return the unit in exchange for a new one. At least you will eliminate the fact that the Tascam is to blame. Well hopefully. Seems most other possibilities have been addressed already. Good luck man.

Thanks for the help man. I just called GC today and i'll be sending it in for repair next week. I'll keep you guys posted on it once I get it back.

Cool man, definitely let us know.

Mercuriari is offline New Member
    I've been having clicks on my FW-1884 and took a closer look. I noticed that the "Sync" indicator on the FW-1884 Control Panel would disappear in time with each click. I was doing something in my browser (Firefox). Testing showed that everytime I start Firefox there is a click. Then I opened up Windows Audio Properties app to see if my FW-1884 had gotten selected as the default I/O device or something (it hadn't) and got another click. Lord knows what else does it but a good guess would be anything that accesses audio output. This is while the 1884 is selected for output with Abelton Live running. Haven't tried it in Cubase.

Do you have a browser open when the drop outs occur? With all the objects that push graphics to cycle images in their ads there can be a lot of activity going on that you don't realize - even when yer browser is in the background.

Try watching the Task Manager (<Ctrl><Alt><Del>)->Performance->CPU Usage History graph(s) when the drop outs are happening - that'll tell you if CPU load is starving your audio programs for cycles. If it is, look at the other tabs: Applications and Processes (sort by different columns, CPU time, I/O bytes, etc.) and see if the culprit is identifiable. If so, you can take steps to stop it (Close it, Disable it's Startup or Services if it's automatic - lots of info on the web on how to do that in your OS).

You describe a problem that has recently gotten worse. My first rule of debugging is if something began (or got worse) at a particular time, then, something changed at that time and that's what to look for. Sounds like Reaper would be an obvious instigator.

> "..has become more frequent and consistent over the last 2 weeks.
    > It actually started like this when I tried Reaper for the first time."

[Feel free to self-inflict damage at this point ;-> ]

Maybe it changed something? Perhaps you could do a Windows System Restore to a restore point from before you downloaded Reaper?

I don't think it's the Tascam hardware.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information