Tascam TSR-8

sixtiesman

I have just acquired a used one of these. Cleaned the heads last night and managed to play one of the tapes that came with it.
Impressive!!

Testing the record side tonight!! ( getting excited!!)

I have found my first fault, a wobble on one of the reels, only apparent during rewind. I read somewhere that this is a common fault and not something to worry about.
An adjustment inside, difficult to get at but not the end of the world!??

I am keen to hear from anyone with experience of this and TSR-8
in general.

Keen to swap notes with owners of this deck.

I got the remote with it, a couple of reels of 456 tape, a demagnetiser and the user and service manuals!!

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post!!

sixtiesman

I think the first thing, might be to check the reels.

If you only have two reels, reverse them on their respective hubs, and see if the problem follows the reel, or the hub.

Then, if it seems to be in the hub, there is a possibility that resetting the hubs, ["reel tables"], might help. There are two set screws, and it's possible they might be set slighty uneven, enough to cause this eccentricity. This reel table adjustment would require a disassembly of the unit, to get under the face plate, to the mechanical area underneath it.

That's some mechanical stuff, that I'm not sure you really want to mess with, but hopefully those tips will get you started.

Thanks......I have no option but to get involved!!!

I will try as you suggest. The manual had exploded views so maybe I'll not get lost!

sixtiesman said:
I have found my first fault, a wobble on one of the reels, only apparent during rewind. I read somewhere that this is a common fault and not something to worry about.

When you are in Rewind does it vibrate or make a grinding noise? The reel tables on these have been known to slip down and cause metal-to-metal contact between the frame and the base of the reel table where the setscrews are. If this has happened it might sound like a helicopter.

The plastic reel clampers could be the problem if they are too loose to clamp the tape reel securely. Remove the two clampers by removing the center screws. They may seem stuck, but just give a light nudge near the base with your palm. Look them over for cracks, and check to make sure the three tiny screws on the back are tight. The clampers are still available from Tascam. They eventually wear out. I replaced the ones on my TSR-8.

They are super machines with very few problems -- nice choice!

Both the Tascam and the Analog forums are good places to post.
:cool:

Thanks for that I will have a good look at it soon.

It does wobble on play, ie the tape hits the flange slightly sometimes. No helicopter noise!! No scraping sounds thank
goodness. The hub does seem to follow the wobble so your info on that could be a big clue! Thanks again!

I tested the recording tonight....all 8 channels work fine!!
Phewwww........
and the remote works too!!! Hurray....

So far so good!

sixtiesman said:
I have just acquired a used one of these. Cleaned the heads last night and managed to play one of the tapes that came with it.
Impressive!!

Testing the record side tonight!! ( getting excited!!)

An adjustment inside, difficult to get at but not the end of the world!??

I am keen to hear from anyone with experience of this and TSR-8
in general.

Keen to swap notes with owners of this deck.

I got the remote with it, a couple of reels of 456 tape, a demagnetiser and the user and service manuals!!

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post!!

sixtiesman
Am looking for a remote if you don't use yours...Mark

Back