Tascam DP-24

Ron Smith

I recently purchased a DP-24 I was having some problems so I called Tascam and he told me I needed to update the firmware which I did and purchased one of their approved disks. After carefully reading manual everything seemed to be going smoothly, I have 9 songs as master files and was ready to burn disk. I tried both the disc at once and the one song at a time and both seem to go right along with the manuals writing and pictures until I get to ready to burn disk and I say yes and it seems to start to work but then comes back with an error message Writing Failed ANY IDEAS?

Hey Ron.........

1. What "problems" were you initially having that required you to update your firmware?
2. I assume you're referring to a CD disc that you bought? What make and recording speed is the disc?

I've had this problem........caused by the disc recording speed........(I forget what the max is for the DP24). I'll see if I can look it up.

Hey Ron.........

1. What "problems" were you initially having that required you to update your firmware?
2. I assume you're referring to a CD disc that you bought? What make and recording speed is the disc?

I've had this problem........caused by the disc recording speed........(I forget what the max is for the DP24). I'll see if I can look it up.

I tried a couple of different disks, not sure of speed the 1st was a cd-rw the next 2 weren't.I will look when I get back home and post. I was going to call Tascam this afternoon but I found this forum and I was hoping it would be more help. I lost some recordings at first I didn't know if it was my ignorance or some malfunction. The first ? Tascam asked was the version of firmware. I really appreciate the quick response to my question and eagerly await your details about cd speed. Thanks Ron

I tried a couple of different disks, not sure of speed the 1st was a cd-rw the next 2 weren't.I will look when I get back home and post. I was going to call Tascam this afternoon but I found this forum and I was hoping it would be more help. I lost some recordings at first I didn't know if it was my ignorance or some malfunction. The first ? Tascam asked was the version of firmware. I really appreciate the quick response to my question and eagerly await your details about cd speed. Thanks Ron

Maxell CD-R 80 min 700MB Philips CD-ReWritable 74min 650 MB 1-4x In the owners manual it lists CD-R/CD-RW HIGH SPEED, CD-R/CD-RW non-finalized I have a couple of other CD-R disks to try Memorex 52x I have no way to get to store for awhile and the 2 stores I went to didn't have any CD-RW disks

Maxell CD-R 80 min 700MB Philips CD-ReWritable 74min 650 MB 1-4x In the owners manual it lists CD-R/CD-RW HIGH SPEED, CD-R/CD-RW non-finalized I have a couple of other CD-R disks to try Memorex 52x I have no way to get to store for awhile and the 2 stores I went to didn't have any CD-RW disks

Tascam basically told me that any ole cd should work but I have tried 3 different ones and no go. He told me I should try a Fuji or Sony or maybe the cd burner is bad this is the first time I have tried to burn a cd I have had the machine for months but just recently started using it a lot.

Don't panic yet. It's unlikely that you have a burner problem. Try CD's with a speed of 10x or so. Trust me...not every CD works in the DP24. I went through this myself and I looked and my CD's are all 10x. Good luck.

If you haven't already, try playing a regular audio CD. It won't prove that a CD can be written, but if it doesn't play, there's likely a problem with the CD unit itself.

I have already played a CD thru the machine when I was recording someone who wanted to add 2 songs from a CD they had recorded before I imported the tunes into the depot and then assigned them to tracks. I appreciate your thoughts though and your input.

I stopped by a store on the way to work and since the Tascam guy said Fuji or Sony I bought a bundle of Sony Cd's they say 1x-48x. Do you mean the CD has to be 10x or 10x and above. One of the disks I tried yesterday was 52x. I was trying to do disk at once and at first I thought it was going to work because it spun for probably 7 minutes and just as I was standing up to jump for joy I turned around to ERROR WRITING FAILED. I appreciate all the input you have given me but could you clarify the 10x

Ron........to clarify.......I took a look at the discs I had and for whatever reason........they are all 1-10X speed......Sony. They work fine. I doubt that the unit can only record on 10X but I'm almost 100% positive that I had the same error message when I used low speed discs. (4x and below) Changing to 10x fixed that for me. If you're able to play....and import.....I still think it's your discs for some reason. I wish I could pin point the problem for you.

What firmware revision are you running? There was a CD write problem with an earlier version ... v1.10 fixed the issue ... here's a link to Tascam's downloads page. Upgrading is simple, if you need to do it. Product: DP-24 | TASCAM

From the release notes:

V1.10 addition

24-bit songs can now be used to write CD-DA discs.
When you select a 24-bit master file, it will automatically
be converted to 16-bit when writing a CD-DA.

48kHz songs can now be used to write CD-DA discs.
Inclusion of the TASCAM Multi-Stage Sampling rate
converter (TMSS) enables the creation of high-quality
CD-DA discs. When you select a 48kHz master file, it will
automatically be converted to 44.1kHz when writing a
CD-DA.

Ok New problem got disks made copy plays on the recorder but no where else I was sure I had finalized it but it still won't play and when I try to finalize again it says insert open disk that this one is already finalized but it won't play anywhere else IDEAS? you can see on the disk that there is music on it also at first we tried to do songs separately on 2 other disks but they won't play so we did all at once and it won't play either

Back