TASCAM 244 not functioning correctly?

rou

Hi there. I bought a Tascam 244 from ebay and replaced with pinch roller, both belts and the idler tires. The tape controls now all work fine, however im having serious difficulty with getting a track to play back once its recorded. Ive got the manual and am trying to get through it, but this just seems bonkers i cant tell if its a problem or im just really stupid and cant understand it. every way i try doesn't work though so im confused as hell.

I have an input coming into track one. the Input Switch set to mic, and i get strong signal through the phones, BUT only if the monitor switch is set to AUX.
And even then the meter doesn't show signal until i set the Record Function to 4CH REC, then the meter shows good strong signal.

so with this setup i hit record and rewind and play and switch the input swith to TAPE. and i have to switch monitor to cue to hear anything. switching to remix doesnt play sound.

This results in absolute Minimal flickers of the meter. and nothing in the headphones until i turn up the green cue knob for track 1, and i get good signal in the headphones. (btw there is constant large hiss in headphones even when cue pots are all down). But still hardly any movement on the meter. The fader for track 1 and the master fader have no control over the volume.

i get no output on the Line Outs round the back.

i thought this would be simple to operate!

maybe i need to get a Porta One or something, looks simpler :s

or is this one just bust??

thanks for any help!! desperate to get recording to tape so let me know if i just need to find another machine,

Do you have the jumper plugs in the 4 channel's ACCESS SND/RCV jacks?
If these jacks are not jumpered together there is a break point in the signal.
If the jumpers are missing, any RCA connector cable can be used in it's place,
preferably a short 6" RCA patch cord works nicely.

Attachments

• Tascam 244d.jpg
    Tascam 244d.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 16
Back