Question regarding DP-24 and COMPRESSION

NotThatBright

Hello!

To DP-24 owners... when you record electric guitar (using an amp and a mic, that is- not plugging into the mixer and using the mock guitar effects)... do you use compression while recording? If so, do you have a compression effect setting you generally use (the three components below and corresponding numbers)? I have always, and for no particular reason other than to not have to turn my amp up very loud to record, set the compression effects screen to the following before recording guitar or bass:

compression - 5
attack - 5
level - 12

For whatever reason I never experimented with these settings when recording guitar. Does jacking up or lowering compression while recording guitar make a big difference in sound? I also use my DP-24 to record drums, and there's a huge difference in the sound of compressed drums, but with guitar, it pretty much just seemed to be about volume. I should note that 99% of the time use a pretty harsh guitar tone, typical of metal/hardcore/etc.

I don't use compression much when recording metal guitar tones with my Marshall JVM/1960A rig, just dial in the tone and move the Shure SM57 around the cab until it sounds cool; maybe set-up some other mics in the room to catch the vibe.

When I'm worried about recording volumes and need cool tones, I just use an Avid "Eleven Rack". They're available for around $300 and sound very good. I use this method of getting metal tone into the DP24 a lot, it's fast fun, easy and quiet; worth checking out.

Hope it helps!

Back