Operational slow-down of my tascam dp-24

TECHNINOT

HELP! My more-and-more beloved Tascam DP-24 seems to have a problem.
When I start it up, it takes over a minute to become operational. Same waiting
period for the Mastering function and also for the Disconnect USB. The other
functions don't have this problem, at least so far.

What could this be? I checked the SD Card status - "remain size 24.1 GB", and in the
upper right hand corner of the screen it's marked "Remain 81:39".

I'm in the midst of recording my first album, so this problem worries me quite a bit.

If anyone has an idea as to what could be the source of this technical problem and
consequently what could be the solution, I would be EXTREMELY appreciative.

Thank you, whoever you are!

William

I would speculate that as you get projects on the SD card, the load would slow down. More data, more processing. If you have an SD card without data, you test this by going through the functions without or little data. The DP is technically a computer, so there are data loading and processing. If it is slow without data, could be a problem, but I would bet that it becomes factory fast with no data on the card.

I would also assume the onboard effects has to be processed as the data loads. The more effects, the slower the load as well. This is probably pre-processed to remove latency when monitored.

Just speculation on my part, but based on what I know of computers and these machines being low end computers, that would be how they get around processing limitations. Pre-fetch, pre-process, save CPU for real time processing.

+1 What Acraxis said ^^^^

You may have tons of unused un-deleted data on your card built up from the addition of each new song on that card. Not sure of the size of the SD you're using but you mentioned you had a full album's worth of music done...........maybe on that single SD card. You have the problem on disconnecting USB but not connecting? If you're adding files to the folders when connected..........the disconnect could be slower as it reads the new files......etc......etc. I tend to use smaller SD cards. I would take Acraxis's suggestion and "Delete Unused" from each song. If you're wary of doing that......just keep a backup copy of the SD on your PC. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Thank you all for your educated assistance. I'm going to do some housework in there, see what happens.
Now, could THIS be a related problem? Okay, 1st of all - very slow in several operations. But now - "writing failed"…
So, I went to Preferences and "initialized"
and next - I restarted, as suggested in the manual, and hop! a song I was not working on presently appeared… but the start was faster this time...
NOW, Loading the song I'm working on - a minute and a half
NOW, I place a MARK SET then AUTO PUNCH
the TRACK is ARMED, I push RECORD, and what happens? "ERROR WRITING FAILED"

What's happening?
NOW, I shut off.
NOW, I restart. The restart takes forever (nearly two minutes)
NOW, I try again.
"ERROR WRITING FAILED" again.

The manual suggests that I contact my nearest TEAC dealer.
I would really prefer to keep on working, I'm having so much FUN!

Just for troubleshooting purposes, have you tried another card? Not sure if they go bad as I have not used them much, but worth checking out. Sounds like you could be having a hardware failure, but would try that first.

I would also encourage you to get your project files off of the current card as a matter of precaution.

You guys are FANTASTIC! As I already said to Mickster, it's like having a new family, being a member of Homerecording.com.
Yes, I had more than 1 GB of unused data on the song I'm currently recording. Skinnied it down and everything started working again.
Amazing, because in the INFO section I see - TOTAL SIZE: 29.8GB/REMAIN SIZE: 26.0GB. That seems to me quite a bunch
of GBs but, in fact, all that matters to me is that I can record. Music first. As long as the thing works, I'm a happy guy :-)

BIG THANK YOU!

Based on what you stated, once again speculating, even though there is plenty of storage, and some of the information for clean up etc. that is almost 4 GB the machine is loading for a song. Back to the reference of keeping your files cleaned up. Once you know a take is no longer required, do some clean up work as a part of your operation to keep the system performing well.

Glad it worked out and there is nothing wrong with the machine.

Back