Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Newbie w/Advance Q: TASCAM US1800, How to "In Box" Play & Record?

MoBuc is offline Newbie
    Thanks

Question Newbie w/Advance Q: TASCAM US1800, How to "In Box" Play & Record?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi all,
    I have the Tascam US-1800 USB Audio Interface. I've recently discovered the driver for this device does not route playback into a PC recording program if the "playing" program is also, on the same PC. I am assuming the exception is playing a track within an "In-Box" DAW can record back to a new Track (Mix Down) within the same Software. (Cubase may allow route back into itself. I'm new to Cubase. )

Q: How may I play audio in 1 program & record it into Audacity (or Cubase LE5)? Ideally, I want to have only 1 Audio Driver enabled. I would like to hear connectivity ideas for 2 Audio Cards, if that is the only work-around available. That's how I have been doing it up till now.

Old Way :
    US1800: Enabled w/ USB to PC, I/O & COAX SPDIF to EMU 1212m
    EMU 1212m: Enabled w/ I/O Spdif Coax to same of US1800.
    WinXP Onbord Crd: BIOS disabled, & Wavetable Disabled

Ideal:
    US1800: Enabled w/USB to PC & I/O & COAX to misc External Devices/Instruments
    EMU 1212m: Disabled & unused
    WinXP Onboard Crd: Disabled & unused.

I'm open for suggestions. The "Old Way" is very awkward & time consuming to configure as it is different for each PC Program pairs involved (WMP to Audacity, Internet Browser to Audacity or DAWs, etc.).

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
    -MoBuc DAW: Boss Rcrdr, PowerTracks Pro Sequencer, Forte & Coyote DXi, YPT300 KB, EMU 1212m, Proteus VX, Patchmix DSP, SM58 Mic, Asus M2N4-Sli (MoBo), 4GB RAM, AMD 64x2 CPU. Tascam US-1800 Audio, Cubase LE5, Rolls Mic Amp, & MCM Unbal/Bal Converter.

MoBuc is offline Newbie
    Thanks
    This Question Post is a continue of, ": Newbie Q: How 2 Replace Microsoft Wave with knew card?" question posts now closed.
    -MoBuc DAW: Boss Rcrdr, PowerTracks Pro Sequencer, Forte & Coyote DXi, YPT300 KB, EMU 1212m, Proteus VX, Patchmix DSP, SM58 Mic, Asus M2N4-Sli (MoBo), 4GB RAM, AMD 64x2 CPU. Tascam US-1800 Audio, Cubase LE5, Rolls Mic Amp, & MCM Unbal/Bal Converter.

MoBuc is offline Newbie
    Thanks
    Dummy posts to get around the "...5 or more posts to post a link" restriction. I have a link w/Pics of the Device configs of my PC.

MoBuc is offline Newbie
    Thanks
    Dummy posts

MoBuc is offline Newbie
    Thanks
    Dummy posts #3

MoBuc is offline Newbie
    Thanks
    Ok, with the 5 posts done. I can now add this link to some pictures of my PC's Configurations in Power Tracks Pro, Cubase LE5, & Windows Sound and Audio Device Properties. Notice the volume for the Audio Recording is greyed-out. Tascam validates this point in their picture of the same on page 15 of the Owner's Manual.

My Pics:us1800.html

jimmys69 is offline Moderator with long hair
    Thanks
    Ok, this seems easy if I understand you correctly. All audio you are getting from internet via computer or is being sent through the 1800 via digital left/right inputs (15/16). Open whatever you wish to record streaming audio from (in my case Pandora). Open an empty Cubase project. In Devices> Vst Connections select 'Inputs' bus 'Stereo In' and select 'US-1800' digital in left/right. Now, Project>Add Track>Audio>Stereo. Default input in left inspector should read 'Stereo In'. Press record and audio you are listening to will be recorded. Do not engage the monitor button (speaker looking thing on track) as this will cause a feedback loop.

I loaded up LE 5 to make sure we are on the same page here. Here is a snapshot of what I have done.

If this isn't quite what you need then well work at it some more.

Jimmy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog, cute little baby, CARBONITE!!!!

http://www.stricklerstudio.com

Thanks
    Btw, I'm not sure if it matters but I have had issues on large projects with auto save messing with recording. I would shut that off just in case. File>Preferences>General, uncheck autosave.
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog, cute little baby, CARBONITE!!!!

MoBuc is offline Newbie
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Ok, this seems easy if I understand you correctly. All audio you are getting from internet via computer or is being sent through the 1800 via digital left/right inputs (15/16). Open whatever you wish to record streaming audio from (in my case Pandora). Open an empty Cubase project. In Devices> Vst Connections select 'Inputs' bus 'Stereo In' and select 'US-1800' digital in left/right. Now, Project>Add Track>Audio>Stereo. Default input in left inspector should read 'Stereo In'. Press record and audio you are listening to will be recorded. Do not engage the monitor button (speaker looking thing on track) as this will cause a feedback loop.

I loaded up LE 5 to make sure we are on the same page here. Here is a snapshot of what I have done.

If this isn't quite what you need then well work at it some more.

Jimmy
    Thanks for responding Jimmy. I walked thru the steps U have above twice. Once playing an MP3 from WMP & once from playing a pre-recorded Webinar within Fire Fox Browser (my primary need for this type of use). Not a note or voice got recorded from either. U can see in the Pic below, Cubase LE5 never received any input from either Fire Fox or Media Player.

Page #15 of the Tascam Owner's Manual may have hinted this in the post:

I can record any device I attach to the US1800, including In#15/#16. I can hear any audio played by my PC into US1800. Tascam manual says it's default communicates via USB. But to play an audio Source within the PC & to record that same source back onto the same PC...not happening so far.

Because I can't do this, I have only 9 minutes & must run away to monitor another Distance Class in real time cause I can't set a timed recording & check it later.

I'll check back later and keep looking. BTW, I suspect the driver lacks a WDM part as the manual does show the Windows Recording Device as Greyed out. Oddly, enough, I bought the unit for it's Mic/Amp recording features and find something this simple is a big problem for me. C ya after class & Dinner.

Thanks
    Man.....I'm on Win7 so the default sound stuff looks different but correct. Your pic looks like mine yet I get recorded signal. Is there any way to completely disable your internal soundcard as that is what should be happening?

Let me get something straight in my head first. You play something in media player and you hear it through the 1800's outputs (Monitor knob or Phones knob controls volume [speakers hooked up from 'Monitor Outputs' on rear]? You open Cubase like I showed and still hear your signal? Nothing records while you are hearing this signal and hit record?

-If all these are answered yes then I haven't a clue as this is what is working here.

Go through this and let me know if we are still together on this.

Just for shits n giggles, see if your VST Audio System looks like this.

I'll get your post right away as I'm set for notifi by my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information