MX-2424 problem

bobkill

I bought a MX-2424 not long ago. I tested it and it recorded on all channels, everything worked fine. I mounted it in my rack, attached cables (analog) and turned it on and get nothing but a blank display. Does anybody have any idea of what might be going on and where I go from here? I'm new to hard drive recorders and could use some help.

When you say blank display, are there any lights on? If there are lights on but no display I would suggest taking the lid off and checking that one of the internal wiring plugs/looms may be loose.

Cheers
Alan.

The display lights up but no letters show up. I saw your (Witzendoz) thing about using MX-View with XP but I couldn't get my IP to accept your e-mail. Could you help me with that.

The display lights up but no letters show up. I saw your (Witzendoz) thing about using MX-View with XP but I couldn't get my IP to accept your e-mail. Could you help me with that.

I would still take off the lid (with the mains power unplugged) and make sure the ribbon cables to the display are firm, maybe take them apart and put them back to check that there is a good connection.

The other thing that may have happened is that the operating system may have been lost, do you have the memory card with the operating system on it? If so put it in the slot with the power off and boot up the MX.

I am about to start the weekend here so i amy not be on the net that much, see how you go and I will check in when I can. I will get onto the MX-view thing when we solve the display problem.

Alan.

I took the ribbon cable connections off and put them back on and still have the problem. So I guess I need to find a media card with the OS on it. Is there any other way to restore the OS software? Bob

I have been giving this some thought, and I think that you need a media card to load the operating system. If you have lost yours, Tascam support/spares may have some still laying around.

Alan.

I'm waiting for a response from Tascam about getting a media card. There taking about 5 days to get to get to the e-mails. I should have just called them. So I'm hoping they still have some. If they don't I will try getting a 4mb card and try to get someone to load it for me. I'm really thankful that you (witzendoz) took the time to reply to my question, thanks

I was thinking that if we could get hold of a compatible media card there is a possibility of loading the operating system, I will try to figure out what the specs are for the card, am sure that there will be a little place in china that will have them in stock LOL. Let me know how you go with Tascam. I am assuming that you are in the US, Tascam here are pretty useless (not the guys working theres fault) when it comes to parts.

Cheers
Alan.

Tascam is sending me a card so hopefully I can get my machine going.

Glad they had one, I did some research and the MX uses a 4mb Smart Media card, there is a way to load the card from an operating MX, however I could not figure out if you could load the card from a computer unless the mx was already connected to a computer?

Alan.

I got the card from Tascam. It doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe I'm not doing this right, I couldn't find any info on using the card. Is there something you need to do besides putting the card in and turning on the machine? How long does it take to download the software?

I got the card from Tascam. It doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe I'm not doing this right, I couldn't find any info on using the card. Is there something you need to do besides putting the card in and turning on the machine? How long does it take to download the software?

You just put the card in and turn on the machine, it should then boot from the card and reload the operating system. Just make sure the card is all the way in, the small button that pops out the card should be extended.

Have you got a scsi drive fitted? If you have more then 1 scsi drive remove all but 1.

Alan.

Last edited:
I don't know what is wrong with my machine. There must be something wrong with it more than just the OS. I've got a hold of another machine that is working. I need to update the OS but otherwise it seems fine. Do I do that the same way, just put the smartcard in and turn on the power? How can I get MX-View to work with XP?

I don't know what is wrong with my machine. There must be something wrong with it more than just the OS. I've got a hold of another machine that is working. I need to update the OS but otherwise it seems fine. Do I do that the same way, just put the smartcard in and turn on the power? How can I get MX-View to work with XP?

Have a read of page 62 of the ownwers nmanual (downloadable from tascam.com under support) I am sure that you just put the card in and turn it on and it updates the operating system. I have one machine that sometimes does not boot and I just boot with the card in and it fires OK. do not turn off the machine with the card in as this will change the card to the eirlier OS if it did not update.

Alan

I updated the software on my MX-2424. Everything is working right. Thanks Witzendoz for your help. I had a strange thing happen, I turn on the machine and nothing happen but the first 4 channel meters lit full up and stayed on, nothing on the display and no LEDs. I unhooked the cables and turned it on and it was fine. I hooked up the cables again and it's fine. I don't know what's up with that.

I updated the software on my MX-2424. Everything is working right. Thanks Witzendoz for your help. I had a strange thing happen, I turn on the machine and nothing happen but the first 4 channel meters lit full up and stayed on, nothing on the display and no LEDs. I unhooked the cables and turned it on and it was fine. I hooked up the cables again and it's fine. I don't know what's up with that.

Great to see it up and running, when you say you unhooked the cables, which cables are you referring to? If it's scsi cables I am wondering if there was some kind of bad connection or scsi lockup? Just filing away for future problem solving LOL.

Cheers
Alan.

I unhooked the cables from the AD/DA converter because it acted just like my other machine. But I don't think the cables had anything to do with it. For some reason it just didn't boot up right. But it's working alright now, if I could just get MX-View to work I would be in business, so to speak. Bob

I unhooked the cables from the AD/DA converter because it acted just like my other machine. But I don't think the cables had anything to do with it. For some reason it just didn't boot up right. But it's working alright now, if I could just get MX-View to work I would be in business, so to speak. Bob

I know disconnecting the AD/DA makes no sense, however in life I find a lot of technical fixes make no sense. It could be coincidence that the software booted (sorted itself out) the time you removed the cables.

Now how can I help with MX-view LOL. Have you down loaded the MX View manual that has the set up from Tascam Support? And what version of windows are you using?

Alan.

Yes I know sometimes things get fixed in ways that don't make any sense at all. I do have the Tascam MX-View manual download. I would like to be able to use XP for MX-View. We have tried to get windows 98 going but we can't get the drivers to work with the sound and video cards we have available. With XP I can use a new hard drive and have a much more stable system. We haven't been able to get it to work. And I know it wasn't designed to work with XP. Is there a way to do it? Bob

Yes I know sometimes things get fixed in ways that don't make any sense at all. I do have the Tascam MX-View manual download. I would like to be able to use XP for MX-View. We have tried to get windows 98 going but we can't get the drivers to work with the sound and video cards we have available. With XP I can use a new hard drive and have a much more stable system. We haven't been able to get it to work. And I know it wasn't designed to work with XP. Is there a way to do it? Bob

When you try to install mx-view on XP it comes up with a message of not compatible with this version of windows, or something like that.

However, take the folder with the mx-view software, which shows as a "Tascam" folder, and just copy it into: c drive in the Program files folder.

Now open the Tascam folder then the MX-View folder, double click on MX-View icon (the one showing a MX2424 image). MX view will function, no other install required, apart for setting up the IP addresses.

A few things, go back to the MX-View folder, right click on the MX-view icon, send to desktop (create shortcut) this will now have a short cut on the desk top.

Also note that within the folder there is a "clear preferences" icon. This is handy when you need to clear mx-view if it won't work properly, for example, you have changed IP addresses and it is confused, you have been running a different machine and it keeps looking for it, etc.

Let me know how this all went.

Cheers
Alan.

Back