Master playback on DP-24

Michael O'Regan

Following mastering, how do I subsequently retrieve the master recording to play it back. I know it's stored in the song folder but how can I get to it.

On the old DP02, the master existed independently of the individual tracks and could be played back just using the master fader as control. In the DP24, it seems that only the individual tracks can be played back?

I think you're confused, because you sure confused me. You mixed down in "MIX" mode, right? Then you go to "MASTER". In master mode when you press PLAY you are hearing the recording you made in MIX mode, that IS the master file. If you RECORD in master mode you will apply the mastering FX (EQ, COMP,NSD, NORM) and the new master file overwrites the old. You can always UNDO/REDO to compare.

The master file is located in the song folder, and is named <song name>.wav (in case you wanted to bring it to the computer ... you don't need to know this if you're just working with the DP-24)

Right. I knew that. I know how to get it onto the computer. That's not a problem. I also know how to mixdown and master. I have created and saved the master file. None of this is a problem.

Here's where I'm getting lost. So, I save the master file and then I go ahead and record a whole new song. Later, I want to go back and listen to the master file for the first song. How do I locate that <song name.wav> file actually within the DP 24? If I just go to menu and LOAD the first song all I get are the original tracks - unmixed.

Right. I knew that. I know how to get it onto the computer. That's not a problem. I also know how to mixdown and master. I have created and saved the master file. None of this is a problem.

Here's where I'm getting lost. So, I save the master file and then I go ahead and record a whole new song. Later, I want to go back and listen to the master file for the first song. How do I locate that <song name.wav> file actually within the DP 24? If I just go to menu and LOAD the first song all I get are the original tracks - unmixed.

Might work the same as the Neo. Load a song you have mastered, then try pressing mixdown/mastering twice. Should be able to play the mastered track then.

Right. Load the song, and go into "MASTER" mode, press PLAY. That IS your master. You don't need to know anything else about it. Which was I said to begin with.

OK, thanks, folks. It's different to the DP02 which is what I was used to before.

RustyAss,

"Which was I said to begin with."

Well, I'm not sure what this sentence actually means....oh, yes...you left a word out!
:p

Back