Loud snaps during 24-bit recording with DP-24

NotThatBright

I've seen other threads about loud snaps occurring during recording with the DP-24. In the past my recordings were exclusively 16-bit with the DP-24, and I'd get one of these "power surges" or whatever you want to call them only once in a blue moon; too infrequently to even care about. However, I tried recording in 24-bit recently... and while I was recording drums (at which time I have 7 inputs going at once), it snapped so much that I said the hell with it and did the recording over in 16-bit.

I've had problems with the DP-24 before, and just about all of them were solved by formatting the SD card. That panacea doesn't seem to be working with this problem, though. In the other threads people seem to think that the device needs to be grounded, but I don't see why it would need to be grounded for 24-bit recording and not for 16-bit recording. As I mentioned before, this problem only occurs with 24-bit recording... no problems with 16-bit.

I should also mention... this is a snap that occurs ON the tracks that are recording... that is, the dB readout for the seven tracks all of a sudden redline past 0dB during the snap. It's not just just something I hear through the monitors, it's something that gets recorded on the track.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is? Thanks.

This is the problem I have as well. I'm going to try grounding, and I also purchased a direct box to run the direct out from my amp and keyboard through. I'm hoping these can fix the problem.

This is the problem I have as well. I'm going to try grounding, and I also purchased a direct box to run the direct out from my amp and keyboard through. I'm hoping these can fix the problem.

I do not know what is causing this but I would be tempted to try an other recommended class 10 SD card if only to rule it out of the equation.

Does it make sense that lack of grounding could be the issue, since this only happens when recording in 24-bit? Wouldn't it be an issue with 16-bit recording as well? I have no problem with 16-bit recordings.

Sounds to me like something is not set correctly somewhere in your menus. ? It seems like it would be either bit depth related, or sample rate related.The only time I ever hear any popping, while recording digitally (other than overloading) is when I've sent 16 bit playback to 24 bit record, via lightpipe. If I had sent 16 bit to 16 bit, or 24 to 24, the pops would not have occurred. I understand, this is not what you were doing, but it does sound either bit related or sample rate related. I too, doubt that it's a ground thing.

Sounds to me like something is not set correctly somewhere in your menus. ? It seems like it would be either bit depth related, or sample rate related.The only time I ever hear any popping, while recording digitally (other than overloading) is when I've sent 16 bit playback to 24 bit record, via lightpipe. If I had sent 16 bit to 16 bit, or 24 to 24, the pops would not have occurred. I understand, this is not what you were doing, but it does sound either bit related or sample rate related. I too, doubt that it's a ground thing.

Thanks for your answer. I just tried recording drums in 24 bit again (44.1kHz), and it still happens. I have all 8 inputs going... 2 overheads and 6 drum mics, on tracks 1-8. Here's quick raw drum recording with the snaps:

https://soundcloud.com/user92696274096/song-0068

If you or anyone else has an idea of what it could be, any thoughts are appreciated. Never happens during 16 bit recording.

By the way, I don't know what overloading is. I assume it's having those "TRIM" dials set too high, so that the individual tracks are redlining on the meter?

I had a snap too in a middle of a song that appeared when I was doing something like, maybe stopping the play back once,, really wired

I have a zoom R16 that did this which was cured using a class 10 Transend card so once again I would try an other SD card even just to rule it out you can not have too many memory cards anyway and it just might work.

I have a zoom R16 that did this which was cured using a class 10 Transend card so once again I would try an other SD card even just to rule it out you can not have too many memory cards anyway and it just might work.

It's happened with all my SD cards. But what the hell, you're right, can't have too many... I'll buy one of these class 10 dealies. Just about every other problem I've had with this thing has been fixed (at least temporarily) by formatting the SD card. Thanks.

I think I'm on the latest firmware, but I'd better check that out, too.

It's happened with all my SD cards. But what the hell, you're right, can't have too many... I'll buy one of these class 10 dealies. Just about every other problem I've had with this thing has been fixed (at least temporarily) by formatting the SD card. Thanks.

I think I'm on the latest firmware, but I'd better check that out, too.

Good luck hope all turns out well

Back