Input eq + track eq dp-24

TECHNINOT

Hello Everybody!

Now this one REALLY mystifies me: supposing I think I've done a great job on the EQ adjustments on Input A, for example, which I then assign to Track 1, do I need to put the same EQ adjustments there also, or is this like giving me a second chance to perfect my desired sound? Will anything/everything I do on the Track EQ override the Input EQ? I would really appreciate some clarification concerning this enigma.

Thank you to anybody out there who can help.

William

Well........you're not being too clear.......but if you're saying you have a signal going into input A and you used some sort of external in line EQ BEFORE input A and assigned that input to a track..........then you do not need to make any further EQ adjustments in the DP24 mixer screen unless you want to. If you are not using an external EQ and are actually making your EQ adjustments in the DP24 mixer screen (after assigning to a track)...........those adjustments are not permanent and can be left as you like them or changed at any time.

In all honesty......it seems that you are having a bit of difficulty understanding the DP24...........and maybe even a little trouble with some general recording concepts and mechanics. When you refer to the DP24 manual it uses terminology that makes some basic assumptions that you have used similar equipment before. So tell us a little about your experience so far and maybe we can assist you better.

May I suggest a good resource for those who are new to the DP-24 and/or home recording? Tascam DP-24 (DP-32) DVD Tutorial | ProAudioDVDs.comProAudioDVDs.com ... I got this when I bought the DP-24, and found it useful ... especially for understanding how Tascam implemented FX.

If you EQ the input, you RECORD that track with that EQ, it's permanent. If you EQ the track, you're only EQ'ing the playback (ie, what you hear) but the track is recorded dry (no EQ). You would be applying EQ to the dry track ... and can change it to your preference as you go. Then finally, there's a master EQ, which applies EQ to the final master (all the summed tracks).

Thank you RustyAxe.
Your explanation is very clear, somehow more to-the-point than those given in the tutorial, which I have.
Until now I have been EQing twice (the Input, then the Track) which obviously could only lead my mixing ears off into a fantasy world,
with big surprises at the end. I feel like everything is going to be better from now on. Thanks again.

Hello once again Mr Mickster!

In fact, what I hadn't understood was that EQ'ing the Track has only impact on the playback, and that what counts (at least at the moment of tracking) is the initial EQ'ing on the Input. This understanding will allow me to go one step further. WHEW!

And yes, until rather recently all my recording experiences were in recording studios, and to tell you the truth, I never really took an interest
in the nomenclature of things technical. I was there to transmit my feelings principally...

What's more, until now I never really had a very positive relationship with electric/electronic things. The guitar player of my group FRENCH KISS in Paris used to beseech me to not "even look at" his stereo equipment when I'd come to his apartment. There you go...

Thanks for your patience. I probably haven't yet finished asking questions, but I will try to make them clearer each time.

Back