DP-32SD (Musician's Friend): Features/limitations

Duolian1933

I just purchased the Tascam DP-32SD from Musician's Friend ("Stupid Deal of the Day" promotion)...I am aware of the fact that it is a "stripped" version of the regular DP-32 (no CD burner, no Midi inputs).

I wanted to know if others have purchased this model, and if there are any other "challenges" with this version? Any issues re: exporting tracks to a PC? Thanks in advance - I am excited to start using it once it arrives!

It's brand new, hadn't even heard of it till I read your post, and it isn't on the Tascam site. From what I see, it's a DP32 without the CD burner or midi. But it has one interesting feature I don't have on the DP24 ...

From the MF description:
The last 12 faders are selectable between MONO and STEREO
The DP-32SD has 12 selectable tracks between MONO or STEREO. These tracks provide more flexibility. For example, set to STEREO for recording synthesizer, or set to MONO when recording guitar or vocal. Not only that, you can create ideal settings for each track. (set #9 to #12 STEREO, then set #13 to #22 MONO) If all tracks are set to MONO the DP-32SD becomes a 20-track multi track recorder.

I'm not sure I'd find it so useful, but some might. When I want to use a stereo track as mono I just assign a single input to both stereo tracks (l/r). I can split it into a true mono track in a DAW if I need to. (I haven't yet). As for midi, I don't use it, but it might be deal breaker for many potential users.

I purchased the DP-32SD, also with the Stupid Deal of the Day after some research, including a discussion with a Tascam tech (after a 30 min wait time!). They were made exclusively for Musicians Friend and Guitar Center. Got mine for $399. It's an excellent machine if you don't require MIDI or a CD burner. I've done several transfers via USB and with the SD card without issues. What I like ..... No moving parts at all !

I've heard that possibly there is no way to update the firmware in that particular box.... anyone heard something like that?

I sent you a private message, not sure if it went thru. I am in Kennesaw, GA. Would like to compare experiences with DP-32SD. I have lots of reading to do to figure it out :)

Thanks all for the responses! Richard: Did not see the message but coincidentally saw your own post and would love to connect!

I purchased the DP-32SD and have really been pleased with it. I also own a DP-008ex and there is some carry-over. It is very easy to transfer files to the computer (WAV files) and I don't miss the Midi or CD burner, because I have one on the computer and the CD-WR discs are costly and a pain compared to just storing the files on a thumb drive and plugging it into an amp or the car stereo. The price is unbeatable and, frankly, the two things that it doesn't have aren't really needed. If you get one, you'll really enjoy it.

Back