DP-24 - I love it (so far)

I am really curious about this.

How do any of you actually use this? Do you have two rooms with a pane of glass and an engineer at the controls? i hit record and the monitors bleed into my microphone because the damn things don't cut off! I have written Tascam and they have yet to reply. I went to guitar center and they had a switch I could use to cut the line out to the monitors off. So, now I am having to make technology get in my way. I have to:

(Using the switch) Turn the monitors off
Push record
Record
Push stop
Turn the monitors on
Push play

Yesterday I doing a punch in at about 40 seconds. Can you imagine what this would be like?

I haven't heard back from them - of course. It looks like I'll have to send the unit back. A major waste of my time. One other concern is who would have designed this? Tascam actually paid someone to write the software for this.

I had a little Fostex MR-8. I sold the damn thing because I had to run the monitors through a mixing board.

I didn't sign up for this.

I am really curious about this.

How do any of you actually use this? Do you have two rooms with a pane of glass and an engineer at the controls? i hit record and the monitors bleed into my microphone because the damn things don't cut off! I have written Tascam and they have yet to reply. I went to guitar center and they had a switch I could use to cut the line out to the monitors off. So, now I am having to make technology get in my way. I have to:

(Using the switch) Turn the monitors off
Push record
Record
Push stop
Turn the monitors on
Push play

Yesterday I doing a punch in at about 40 seconds. Can you imagine what this would be like?

I haven't heard back from them - of course. It looks like I'll have to send the unit back. A major waste of my time. One other concern is who would have designed this? Tascam actually paid someone to write the software for this.

I had a little Fostex MR-8. I sold the damn thing because I had to run the monitors through a mixing board.

I didn't sign up for this.
Use headphones to track.

Use headphones to track.

I've never tracked a single note with Monitors on....Headphones all day long

BTW.....how much was the switch at GC.......it's irrelevant, if you need it, buy it......

I had an old Boss who was never afraid to spend his money.....if I needed something to further the cause he'd hand me money and say "Get It Done"

I used Fostex monitors with my 2488 and there was an on/off switch on each one. Only turned them on when checking a take or mix. Eventually I didn't use them at all. I couldn't imagine using them while recording - feedback etc. But then, I record in my livingroom with the DP24 sitting on the coffee table and my wife watching TV. I did not replace the monitors after losing my studio because they were not a good way to check mixes anyway. It's so easy to burn a test CD now-a-days that I generally use the "Pickup Test" for evaluating a mix. PickupTest: Burn a CD and take it out to my Ford pickup and play it with the volume cranked up. I want to hear what it sounde like in the real world, not a well padded, monitor room with acoustics that can't be duplicated anywhere else. But then, I admit, I am an amateur home recordist, not a production studio. - Bill

ok. headphones... who would have thought of that.
Are you serious? If you are, I think you should do a little more BASIC research before you start blaming equipment and writing to companies to get your very basic problem solved.
What should I do about the sound coming out of my monitors that is bleeding into my microphone?
Turn them off while tracking. How are your monitors hooked up? Are they powered or are you going through a receiver or power amp? There must be way to turn off whatever's powering your monitors
while listening to the headphones that are plugged into your recorder. This is very basic stuff, man. Not trying to be mean, but you're returning machines, slamming companies, wasting people's time by writing them to solve a problem that isn't theirs to solve for you.

Relax....I got my DP24 from American Musical Supply on their 3 payment plan.....if you got $183 you can go RIGHT now and order yourself a NEO.....You pay $183 2 more times on each succeeding month.....NO CREDIT CHECK......$549 total plus a $3.95 charge....no tax, no shipping...

Love my DP 24 now you go get your NEO and make some great music........

I own a NEO. I have had once since they day it was released. It just doesn't make sense that Tascam would stop building this unit.

Knobs and buttons and color, oh my! Yet....even the 2488 Mk II and Neo models changed from the original 2488 Mk I (which I'm still using to this day)...biggest example is the loss of the built in MIDI based drum patterns. For laying down a song, it's quick and painless to create a drum track to play against on the Mk I, and then (when your friend, the drummer is available) simply replace them with actual drum tracks later on. Yes, it's somewhat backwards in terms of the normal scheme of things, but there are many times when I want to put down a new idea, Steve isn't going to be available for a couple weeks, and so I dial up a pattern and off I go! More than once, Steve got idea for the tracks that he eventually put down from the patterns I dialed up.....

I agree. Built in MIDi drums were a big loss along the way. I'd also like to (sometimes) record drums in the way you describe.....and a carefully crafted MIDI drum track could certainly inspire a real drummer. It's a simple, creative, self contained solution.

I agree. Built in MIDi drums were a big loss along the way. I'd also like to (sometimes) record drums in the way you describe.....and a carefully crafted MIDI drum track could certainly inspire a real drummer. It's a simple, creative, self contained solution.

I use the MIDI drums all the time when I'm working on a new song...it's a practice I started very soon after I got the 2488 (when it first came out), simply because the metronome was too hard to hear! I laugh about it now, but I'm grateful I got on the wagon early and have the Mk I with the MIDI patterns to work with.

On a side note to the folks reacting to the fellow complaining about monitor bleed....to use myself as an example, I have my monitors on a Furman power strip, along with all my rack gear...so I'd have to reach around behind them and turn them off and then on individually, which can be a PITA if you happen to be sitting with a P Bass or a Strat in your lap at the desk. Makes the Mute button a very handy thing to have, I assure you! If you turn the level down to avoid bleed, and your headphones are plugged into the unit, don't they turn down as well? I think it's a bad move on Tascam's part to have done away with one very useful button, particularly for the folks working on their own.

Just my .02, as they say...

Using the DP24 as a MTC Master and my old Boss BR1600CD (updated firmware to V2.0) as a slave, adjusting both machines to the same tempo, when I push play on the DP24, the boss starts (after about 1.5 bars). It's in time and matches with the bars and beats count. I feed the audio from the boss into channel 23/24 of the DP24 with the view to bouncing the live drums I record later onto that channel.

I use a 4 bar intro to give the drums time to kick in and start all my recordings at bar 5 beat 1.

Even though I miss the convenience of built in midi drums and loops, the simplicity of the DP24 is actually encouraging me to be more productive. :)

Freeze ups anyone?

Has anyone had issues with freeze-ups? Occasionally, my recorder will lock up while I am recording. It will loop the final sounds before I pressed the stop button and the only thing I can do is physically unplug it.

After this, the track is corrupted.

I've been obsessively creating backups of my files after each new instrument is finished.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue?

Has anyone had issues with freeze-ups? Occasionally, my recorder will lock up while I am recording. It will loop the final sounds before I pressed the stop button and the only thing I can do is physically unplug it.

After this, the track is corrupted.

I've been obsessively creating backups of my files after each new instrument is finished.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue?

Yeah....mine has done it 3 times.....I'm exchanging this unit on Tuesday (45 day guarantee AMS)....I don't want a refund cause I love the workflow and sound on this....

I never lost anything because I NEVER unplugged it like you did....it would not shut down, but I waited a few minutes and finally would get it to shut down......

I was freaking out last time cause I had laid 4 part harmonies perfectly on 8 tracks and didn't save it...But because I didn't unplug it I guess it managed to save it....I SAVE a lot more often now too....

But, I am still within 45 days so I'm gonna swap it out.....hopefully it's just the unit.....

Just hang tight and hold the button.....the darn display keeps bouncing notes but it did eventually shut down.....if you unplug it you can possibly wipe your SD card out.....Not worth it...

The guys with the freeze ups...... what are you using for SD cards? From the approved list or other? Brand and speed?

It's not the SD card, had that happen my first weekend with a basic SANDISK SDHC card (lost all my work)..It came up as File Error......I solved that freeze up issue by switching to SANDISK EXTREME PRO SDHC UHS-1 Card (Class 10).....8 GB....speed 95 MB/s 633X.....

Haven't lost any work since....

Thank you for that information. I was just trying to figure out how to go from a huge monitor to this little display!

lot of good info here....I want to record drums.......I want to use two condencer mics for overhead. ( using all 8 inputs) How do I use phatom recording on only two mics, and regular sure 57's on the rest????

Thanks James

Yeah....mine has done it 3 times.....I'm exchanging this unit on Tuesday (45 day guarantee AMS)....I don't want a refund cause I love the workflow and sound on this....

I never lost anything because I NEVER unplugged it like you did....it would not shut down, but I waited a few minutes and finally would get it to shut down......

I was freaking out last time cause I had laid 4 part harmonies perfectly on 8 tracks and didn't save it...But because I didn't unplug it I guess it managed to save it....I SAVE a lot more often now too....

But, I am still within 45 days so I'm gonna swap it out.....hopefully it's just the unit.....

Just hang tight and hold the button.....the darn display keeps bouncing notes but it did eventually shut down.....if you unplug it you can possibly wipe your SD card out.....Not worth it...

Sorry about the delay. Its happened to me with the SD car that came with the recorder and with a Lexar LSD32GASBNA. So I guess not exactly from the approved list, but the guy on the Tascam line didn't seem overly concerned about that fact.

I don't know, if you can tell me anything from that model number, I'd appreciate it.

Using the DP24 as a MTC Master and my old Boss BR1600CD (updated firmware to V2.0) as a slave, adjusting both machines to the same tempo, when I push play on the DP24, the boss starts (after about 1.5 bars). It's in time and matches with the bars and beats count. I feed the audio from the boss into channel 23/24 of the DP24 with the view to bouncing the live drums I record later onto that channel.

I use a 4 bar intro to give the drums time to kick in and start all my recordings at bar 5 beat 1.

Even though I miss the convenience of built in midi drums and loops, the simplicity of the DP24 is actually encouraging me to be more productive. :)

Hi jed (sorry for the late reply).

That sounds like a useful combination. Those Boss drums are pretty good (so I'm told).

For drums (other than live recording) I'll be using MIDI to sync up with my other kit: Akai MPC1000, Yammy SY85 (good drums) and (probably) a Korg ESX. Might even see if I can rig up my old Roland TR707. :)

Reading recent posts, there still seems to be a few teething problems with the DP-24....but that's to be expected with a new design. I'm sure Tascam will sort out the SD card issue.

So, teething troubles aside.....how is the other stuff that REALLY matters......

How is the sound quality of recordings (especially songs with a high track quota) ?
A/D converters.....Accurate, yet not too sterile ?
Any direct sound quality comparisons to the 2488 (or other multitrack recorders) ?
Preamps....any good ?
Reverb ?
Compressor ?
EQ ?
Is the screen easy to read at different angles and in different lighting conditions ?

Do you HATE the fact there's no dedicated monitor mute ??
Early reviews indicate some people rate this as the worst feature.....so far!

.....and so forth.

I'd certainly appreciate any thoughts & opinions (from owners & experts) on these crucial factors.

Cheers. :)

Back