Dp-24 file error/card error

TECHNINOT

NOW… 5 January 2015
Here's one for the BUG BOOK!

The thing started doing goofy stuff, like repeating phrases, then when I asked it kindly to calm down a bit (no kicking, like we used to do with refrigerators and washing machines to get them working again, of course) it announced FILE ERROR, so I tried to DELETE UNUSED which had been helpful before, but this time it offered me CARD ERROR. So I followed the instruction manual's instructions - turned the thing off, then on again. It had secretly changed the song on the multi-track page; ok, so then I tried to put the song I'm working on and all I got was FILE ERROR followed by CARD ERROR.
I would love to change the card, of course, I'm not broke, but I've got 11 tracks of music that I've been working on for the last three weeks, and I can't even put them into the AUDIO DEPOT. Oh la la la!!! The song weighed in at 647.5MB. Come on now machine!!! It refuses to LOAD the song, so how can I do anything at all?
Next, I tried SAVE the song, followed by an unsuccessful effort to LOAD it again. Next, I tried DELETE UNUSED on a different song which was at 1.3GB. Okay for that song but still no luck for the one in question! FILE ERROR again!

The thing continues to LOAD any and all of the other songs, even one which is considerably heavier, but refuses to interact in any way with the song I would so dearly love to be able to finish…
Tried changing the NAME. Nope!

COPY? Ok, took three minutes, and, there on the song list I see SONG_0006. Let's see if I can LOAD it… NOPE! (I didn't think so anyway…)

AMAZING! My Tascam DP-24 has decided it doesn't like THAT song!
As a last desperate effort to recuperate my tune, I ERASEd nearly everything else on the card. Looking at INFO after, it was clear that I was not even using 3GB on a 32GB card, so what's happening? Apparently, I have to start all over, this time copying each successful track onto my computer. What a nuisance!

Any ideas?

My guess is you have a corrupted file on the card. I can't tell you how that happened. Are you sure the 32G card is on the "Tested Media" list for the DP24? I had this problem and what happened was the DP24 created a duplicate song file on the card when it was powered off. Thus.......that could be why your song data is so huge now. If you look at all the files in that song on the card via your PC........you may notice dups of every track etc. And as you have mentioned........you cannot reopen the song that you were working on. My advice is to..........save your song often as you work on it. That way you should laways have a very recent version on the card............and save it to your PC via USB as often as is convenient. And use only the best SD cards. Make sure your unit is saving the default preference for saved tracks. Transferring the track files back onto your your DP24 from your PC will work but you'll have to reset the EQ and other adjustments. I'm willing to bet this all happened to you while you were either "Undoing or Redoing". I know not much of this helps you a this point.

Hello Mickster,
Thanks for your rapid response to my S.O.S. Your intuition was right - the fun began just following an Undo, but after that some kind of strange spirit just took over the whole thing, with the result being that I have to start all over. I accept the lesson. This time, working on the same song, I'm going to employ a different approach, more disciplined, with more attention to the details, and I'm also going to safeguard each track as I go along onto my laptop. The SD card in question is on the good card list. I love what I'm doing so much that this technical "catastrophe" doesn't discourage me.

" If you look at all the files in that song on the card via your PC..." - this sounds very interesting. Although it doesn't seem physically possible due to the fact that I can't open the song, I'll try it. I love learning!

I really appreciate all the help you so spontaneously offer me. It's a gift. Thanks again.
William

Just make sure you "save" often. That will help any failure.

Pop your SD card into pretty much any PC and you can "see" the files just as you can with any storage device. From there you can view each track.

As a habit.....I keep my UBS connected to my laptop and will make a point of going to "menu"...."USB".......connect.....etc....etc......and transferring the entire song from the MUSIC file right to my laptop. If everything fails I still have my complete song file which can be dropped right back onto a formatted SD card for the DP24. That takes only a minute or so and I normally do that when I'm done with my work on the DP24 for the day.......before I shut it down. You can actually do that fairly often as it's not a big deal.

There's something wacky about the "Undo / Redo" feature on the DP24. It works but it seems to be the cause of some card issues too.

You are really too much. Thank you once again. This "complete song" of which you speak, can I then break it down into its original tracks?
The only time I've used the AUDIO DEPOT export function was to send a partially-finished song to a drummer friend of mine.
I immediately understood that I was sending a WAV package. I don't have a PC, just a laptop. Anyway, I changed the SD card in favor of a SanDisk
16GB card, and...
started all over :- )) May the Muse bless you with a wonderful song.

In the passion of recording, I neglected to transfer my files to my laptop. I think somehow that it's very difficult for me to believe that
my Tascam is going to erase or otherwise destroy my work. I never had this kind of experience before and it seems to me that there should be built-in safety features for this kind of eventuality. Oh well...

Once again I find myself having to begin (the same song) all over, and it was starting to sound pretty nice.

This morning, listening happily to my work and thinking about some last little details, I was surprised to find that near the end of the song, suddenly Tascam announced "File Error" and went into a REPEAT mode - repeating the same phrase over and over again - and I couldn't stop it. There was nothing I could do. (Note: this was on a new SD Card - a SanDisk 16G)

Forced to shut the machine down, upon opening it up again, I was greeted with "NO SONG" and from that moment I could do absolutely nothing once again to retrieve my tune.

This time I must admit that I feel really ripped-off by modern technology in general and the Tascam DP-24 in particular.
As you will certainly understand, some of the "feeling" elements of my recordings can simply not be replaced, redone...

If all of this sounds like a hardware problem to you, please let me know and I'll take it back to the shop where I purchased it.
What a nuisance! I miss the simple joy of 1) making music, and 2) recording it onto my little ZOOM Hn4.

Nawww......it's not a hardware problem. It's possibly the SD card still.........but in all truthfulness.........my experience with the DP24 in the early days was not very different than yours. Make sure you have the number of saved takes / tracks set to the original default preference. "Delete Unused" often......especially if you UNDO or REDO often. SAVE very often. Just hit the SAVE button and take the 5 seconds it takes to do that. Hint.........but not advised as a common practice.......when something bad happens.......you can pull the power plug (at the back of the unit) at any time and when you restart the unit it will normally go back to the last SAVE you made. Your song is not lost. Keep the operating system updated. AND FOR THE LOVE OF PETE..........back up your files to a PC at least when you are finished for the day. I understand about getting lost in the passion of recording.........all of us here do......but trust me......technology can be a heart breaker.........and only the consistent use of best practices will keep you safe........most of the time. Good luck.

Thanks MICKSTER. You're right, the more consciously I apply everything you've suggested so far, the better things go.
It would seem as though I've found my cruising speed and altitude now with my DP-24. I'm backing up my files onto
a flash card as well as onto my laptop.

Thank you once again for your faithful listening and helpful responses.
May the Muse bless you with a beautiful song.

Hey......I'm only passing on to you what others here passed on to me. The people on this forum are awesome......talented.......and have been through it all.

Back