Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 2488neo - Copying a song and then deleting parts

  1. #1
    Believer62 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    2488neo - Copying a song and then deleting parts

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi Everyone,
    I recorded my band's 2 hour practice by using all 8 tracks and just letting the recorder run for the whole time (lets call that 'Song_All').., so I have one large file. I am trying to slice and dice it up into individual songs (song1, song2, ..., songx,etc). So for each song I copy 'Song_All' as Songx, then delete everything but the piece of music I want.

    The problem is, as you know.., because of all the 'undo' functions.., you are not really deleting anything in terms of file size.., Tascam still stores all that deleted material in case you want to restore it to an earlier point before the deletion. So song1, song2, etc are all just as big in terms of bytes as song_all. Is there any way to get the 2488neo to drop all of that extra information (all the edits, undo points, etc) and just save the chopped up song? I don't want to hog up all that much memory.

    Thanks so much!!!

    Keith

  2. #2
    pbassbob is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Believer62 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I recorded my band's 2 hour practice by using all 8 tracks and just letting the recorder run for the whole time (lets call that 'Song_All').., so I have one large file. I am trying to slice and dice it up into individual songs (song1, song2, ..., songx,etc). So for each song I copy 'Song_All' as Songx, then delete everything but the piece of music I want.

    The problem is, as you know.., because of all the 'undo' functions.., you are not really deleting anything in terms of file size.., Tascam still stores all that deleted material in case you want to restore it to an earlier point before the deletion. So song1, song2, etc are all just as big in terms of bytes as song_all. Is there any way to get the 2488neo to drop all of that extra information (all the edits, undo points, etc) and just save the chopped up song? I don't want to hog up all that much memory.

    Thanks so much!!!

    Keith
    Hiya Keith,

    I don't have a Neo, but on the original 2488 you'd copy Song_All as Song_X, and then trim all but the desired song from Song_X to yield the song you want...and then you'd select Menu - Song - Delete Unused. A window pops up to confirm "Are You Sure?", you select "Yes", and all the unused material should then be deleted, which will free up that space. Obviously, you lose the capability to use the Undo function, so be sure you have what you want before deleting unused, but if that's available on the Neo, I think that'll do what you're looking for.

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Zeekle is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    214759
    The Neo is exactly the same in terms of this function. "Delete Unused"
    You also have the added "Live-Writer" You take your Song-All and put some location points at the beginig of the different songs, it will then burn a CD and insert gaps at the location points. If your dont want (or need) to mix each individual song then this is a qucik option to splitting the Song-All into individual songs

    Zeek

  4. #4
    pbassbob is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the confirmation, Zeek....good to "see" you again!

  5. #5
    Believer62 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pbassbob View Post
    Hiya Keith,

    I don't have a Neo, but on the original 2488 you'd copy Song_All as Song_X, and then trim all but the desired song from Song_X to yield the song you want...and then you'd select Menu - Song - Delete Unused. A window pops up to confirm "Are You Sure?", you select "Yes", and all the unused material should then be deleted, which will free up that space. Obviously, you lose the capability to use the Undo function, so be sure you have what you want before deleting unused, but if that's available on the Neo, I think that'll do what you're looking for.

    Hope this helps!
    Hi Pbassbob,

    Thanks for your reply! I had tried that.., but the delete unused function was bit as giid as it sounds. It was pretty useless, IMHO. In the manual it says:

    '..As the illustration shows, if old audio data is not completely overwritten by new audio data, it will not be erased.'

    In other words I would have to overwrite the whole 2 hours (exept the part I wanted to keep) with silence.., which would probably take up just as much memory. I'm up for any suggestions. I've loved the 2488 so far, but this seems to be a major issue with it.

    Thanks again!

    Keith

  6. #6
    Believer62 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi Zeek!

    I did need to keep mixing capabilities for each piece..., but will keep this in mind for other issues.

    Thanks so much!

    Keith

  7. #7
    Believer62 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Believer62 View Post
    Hi Pbassbob,

    Thanks for your reply! I had tried that.., but the delete unused function was bit as giid as it sounds. It was pretty useless, IMHO. In the manual it says:

    '..As the illustration shows, if old audio data is not completely overwritten by new audio data, it will not be erased.'

    In other words I would have to overwrite the whole 2 hours (exept the part I wanted to keep) with silence.., which would probably take up just as much memory. I'm up for any suggestions. I've loved the 2488 so far, but this seems to be a major issue with it.

    Thanks again!

    Keith

    Hi Everyone,

    I just wanted to correct my typing in the above.., "the delete unused function was bit as giid as it sounds" should have read: "the delete unused function was not as good as it sounds". Sheesk!!! I should have previewed my post before sending.

    I'm still looking for a way to divide up a long song into shorter pieces that can be edited. If anyone has found a way..., please share!!!

    Thanks so much!

    Keith

  8. #8
    Zeekle is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    214759
    "In other words I would have to overwrite the whole 2 hours (exept the part I wanted to keep) with silence.., which would probably take up just as much memory. I'm up for any suggestions. I've loved the 2488 so far, but this seems to be a major issue with it."


    You do not need to "silence" the sections - you "cut" them. Set your in/out points around the bits you dont want to keep "cut" those. Then use the "Delete Unused" This should remove the audio.

    You are right though, this is a pain in the butt. The best way to achieve what you need to do is to transfer all your wav files to a PC and edit the songs from there. I do this using Audacity (when I have needed too) It is much easier and quicker than doing it on the 2488.

    HTH
    Zeek

  9. #9
    Zeekle is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    214759
    I forgot to say, make a copy of your song first!!! The whole song that is - so you can go back to the original if needed...

    Zeek

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2488neo: song-title rename?
    By Pitti in forum TASCAM User Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 11:07
  2. What Do You Call The Parts Of A Song?
    By Dr. Varney in forum Song Writing & Composition
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 09:23
  3. Enhancing certian parts of the song...
    By Atom Bomb in forum Mixing Techniques
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 14:23
  4. Deleting stuff in wav file 2488neo
    By rmc433 in forum TASCAM User Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 20:56
  5. song structure parts
    By blackmusic in forum Singing & Vocals
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-29-2002, 15:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Special 93% Offer

Got beats? Samples? Mixing and mastering services? Get a head start with this 93% OFF special offer!