How different is Cubase 6 to Cubase 5?

lord of the pie

I have got a used copy of Cubase 5 and unfortunately I cannot buy the Simon Millward book 'Fast Guide to Cubase 5' which I understand is very good. His 'Fast Guide to Cubase 6' is available however, so I will buy it if it is 90% the same. Just wondering if anyone could advise? I want the book in additional to the manual which I have already looked through. Thanks

Just use the software and included documentation. If you have a question, then go to your registered account at Steinberg and ask for support.

I am curious why you can't find the book. I see it HERE for sale used.

Last edited:
Hello #1,

Just to point out some quick ones:

-New drum editing, as well as new tempo and transient detection. In Cubase 5 it was based in volume, new drum replacement functions.
-New Lane track for multi take comping.
-New Track Edit Groups, when activated, related events on multiple tracks are tied together and can be edited at once.
-Note expression was introduce in Cubase 6.
-VST Expression maps compatible with VST 3.5 instruments.
-New VST Amp Rack.
-HALion Sonic SE replaces HALionONE.
-Loop Mash 2.
-64bit support for the Mac.
-New inspector on the key editor and enhanced Quick controls.
-Cubase 6 includes more than two hours of in depth video tutorials.

Best regards,
GN

There were a few reasons there that I upgraded. Will likely do again next time. :)

When is that last C7 update and C8 gong to be released? :D

I know man.... Not trying to put you on the spot. Just curious if you have heard anything.

I do not expect an answer.

But if you do have anything PM me. shh... lol

Are expression maps ever going to be compatible with 3rd party plugs? That create drum map from VST instrument thing is really REALLY nice, but pointless because it doesn't work with anything other than steinberg.

Hello,

Are expression maps ever going to be compatible with 3rd party plugs? That create drum map from VST instrument thing is really REALLY nice, but pointless because it doesn't work with anything other than steinberg.

Expression maps can be used with 3rd party plug-ins since long time ago, here is a list of pre made expression maps for 3rd party instruments you can also made your own expression maps:

Expression Maps for VST Expression :  | http://www.steinberg.net/

Just to mention a few:

Audiobro
Chris Hein Instruments
Cinematic Strings
East West Quantum Leap
Garritan
Native Instruments
Vienna Symphonic Library

Best regards,
GN

Oh nice I didn't know native instruments was compatible. Is that all of thier products or just certain kontakt libraries?

Also this little thing right here that has nothing to do with vst expression, is this ever going to work with addictive drums, ez dummer 2, NI studio drummer (or any of the vintage stuff), Battery 4 or superior drummer? Because that would pretty much be the best thing ever. So far I see it only works with BFD eco, and I never use that thing because it's poop.

ScreenShot2014-09-10at83448AM_zps2d289f30.png

Hello,

Also this little thing right here that has nothing to do with vst expression, is this ever going to work with addictive drums, ez dummer 2, NI studio drummer (or any of the vintage stuff), Battery 4 or superior drummer? Because that would pretty much be the best thing ever. So far I see it only works with BFD eco, and I never use that thing because it's poop.

It has to do with the VSTs, Ez drummer does work but you have to download the Drum Maps for the various Toontrack kit configurations are available in the Free Downloads section of the Toontrack site, accessible via the "My Products" section. EZ Drummer maps for Cubase are in EZdrummer/host stuff/Cubase

The same applies for other developers.
On the bottom left hand side of the drum editor in Cubase, where the loaded GM Drums map is displayed,you can load the required drum map into your project via a little edit/load/save screen. Once it's loaded, The Toontrack map saves along with the project.

Best regards,
GN

Oh yeah that's the way I do it right now and have been since as far as I can remember, it just would be nice if it worked that way instead. It would be a little faster.

Back