Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cubase vs Pro Tools

Allas is offline Newbie
    Thanks

Cubase vs Pro Tools

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello everyone I'm pretty new here and have been reading through the forums. I've used pro tools for a while and am pretty happy with it but it seems quite a few people here like cubase better. What's the big differences?

What advantages would I get if I move to Cubase?

Thanks for any assistance!

jimmys69 is offline Moderator with long hair
    Thanks
    Work flow. It has more to do with how the software is written and how your brain works with it. The major DAW's are all pretty much capable of the same outcome. Download trial versions and spend some time with them and decide for yourself.
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog, cute little baby, CARBONITE!!!!

http://www.stricklerstudio.com

CrowsofFritz is offline Flamingo!
    Thanks
    Cubase IMO is better in MIDI. I don't want to say Pro Tools is over rated, but it is only the industry standard because most studios have them, not because it's "better" than the other DAW's which it most certainly is not.
    "Nahhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnn. I ain't touching that mic. That thing's expensive."

jimmys69 is offline Moderator with long hair
    Thanks
    From what I have gathered, Pro Tools is the standard because it was the first to be accepted as a viable program when major studios started using digital means for recording. It just stuck. By no means better in itself now. I myself, having used it to a small degree in pro studio's, feel it to be unfriendly and sterile. Cubase just 'feels' good to me. That is just my opinion tho. It is my feeling that creative/musician types seem to get along with Cubase more than the others. Even Reaper seemed a bit 'menu-ey' to me. It really just depends on what is comfortable for the user. Oh yeah, and your budget.......
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog, cute little baby, CARBONITE!!!!

http://www.stricklerstudio.com

suprstar is offline It aint ez being green
    Thanks
    Until recently, you could only use PT with digi hardware, so to get PT you were locked into an interface that cost 2x as much as a comparable ASIO interface Cubase could work with. You want a $1100 Rack003 or a $600 motu? With PT youre paying for the name, it kinda is the industry standard. But the hardware and the DAW software is practically the same, whatever you learn on, that's the one you know, one isn't really better than the other. I dont think the Digi hardware is THAT much better than everything else. I have cubase cuz my 1st interface came with it.
    http://www.supr-star.com/ - suprstar studios

Guitargodgt is offline Why 2K?
    Thanks
    At this point it's just workflow.

Before pro tools 9 however, there were a shit ton more reasons to go with cubase as a native daw over pro tools.
    My home studio ---> www.nerolstudio.com

Mo Facta is offline Farts of Nature
    Thanks
    I've been working in PT lately, especially on the post-production gigs I get hired on.

I find it clunky and weird. Although I have been a Steinberg user for 12 years so that may be why. Every shortcut seems to be one keystroke more than is necessary. Why isn't there a tool for splitting regions? Dumb. I have to press ctrl-e every time. In cubase I press "3" and I've got a tool to split as much as I want. Same with zoom in and out. In Cubase it's merely G and H but in PT I have to ctrl-[ and ] every time. Annoying.

And soloing. Why do I have to solo the source track and then the aux track if I am using it as a group? This is LE8 though, mind you. Is there some "pro" trick to getting solo to work through the relevant busses? I dunno. I'm sure 9 and HD is better but I think LE is a piece of junk and a waste of money for all those that bought into it just to be "pro".

I'm sure if I worked on it for 12 years it would all make sense but at this point, Cubase seems to be a way more thought out piece of software. The only complaint thus far I have with Cubase is....WHY CAN I ONLY SIDECHAIN WITH THE ONBOARD PLUGINS????

But meh, they all have their downfalls I guess. Workflow is definitely the keyword. It's all digital audio at the end of the day anyway.

Cheers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Facta View Post
    In Cubase it's merely G and H but in PT I have to ctrl-[ and ] every time. Annoying.

And soloing. Why do I have to solo the source track and then the aux track if I am using it as a group? This is LE8 though, mind you. Is there some "pro" trick to getting solo to work through the relevant busses? I dunno. I'm sure 9 and HD is better but I think LE is a piece of junk and a waste of money for all those that bought into it just to be "pro".

I'm sure if I worked on it for 12 years it would all make sense but at this point, Cubase seems to be a way more thought out piece of software. The only complaint thus far I have with Cubase is....WHY CAN I ONLY SIDECHAIN WITH THE ONBOARD PLUGINS????

But meh, they all have their downfalls I guess. Workflow is definitely the keyword. It's all digital audio at the end of the day anyway.

Cheers

You can sidechain with other plugs in pro tools, but they have to have the feature programed in (just like cubase)

And you can also shortcut R and T for zooming in pro tools.

Like I said, it's just workflow at this point... however pro tools 8 (unless it's HD) is a gigantic turd compared to cubase 5. However pro tools 9 vs cubase 6? Eh it's a lot closer.

Mo Facta is offline Farts of Nature
    Thanks
    Yeah, I figured that out after discovering keyboard focus. I forgive Avid now. But regarding sidechaining, I was referring to Cubase. I am yet to accomplish it with anything but the stock plugins.

Cheers

Thanks
    Yeah sidechain has always been suck a wierd fucking thing in cubase.

If they had done it similar to pro tools it would have been awesome.
    Last edited by Guitargodgt; 09-21-2011 at 21:56.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information