Cubase keeps cutting out

Seraphina Heart

Normally I have no problems, runs like clockwork, but over the last couple of days the 'Cubase application unexpectedly closes' with no warning and does not save the last few edits. It has done it twice this eve. I am running it on a MacBook Pro which I had all cleaned up and ready for music software by a Mac technician. It's only been a few months (May) that I have had it and used it regularly.
Any ideas please?
Thank you

Always worth updating the elc when this happens (on windows too) if cubase loses the elc connection then it crashes as the dongle suddenly vanishes. The elc has become unstable on mine a couple of times and both times there was a new version on the stein erg site. Worth a check.

Always worth updating the elc when this happens (on windows too) if cubase loses the elc connection then it crashes as the dongle suddenly vanishes. The elc has become unstable on mine a couple of times and both times there was a new version on the stein erg site. Worth a check.
Thanks Rob, is it just a matter of going on the steinberg site and down loading the updated elc or should I go through steinberg support? Cheers

Try another audio app just to see if it's Cubase's fault.

You can download and use Reaper in demo mode (which only puts on a few seconds of nag screen at startup, otherwise its fully functional)

Yep - just find it on the site and download from the link. I've also had it happen when a VSTi loses a component - OR - as happened to me, I discovered one of my VSTi's was a time limited demo, and after it ran out it crashed Cubase every time I loaded it but if it was in an old song, instead of giving the usual warning and the name with !!!!! after it, it just froze.

Yep - just find it on the site and download from the link. I've also had it happen when a VSTi loses a component - OR - as happened to me, I discovered one of my VSTi's was a time limited demo, and after it ran out it crashed Cubase every time I loaded it but if it was in an old song, instead of giving the usual warning and the name with !!!!! after it, it just froze.

Am not sure if it's just coincidence but it crashes when I open an old song and take a sample and copy and paste into the new track. That's when it closes and takes all my editing with it :confused: heyho.

Try another audio app just to see if it's Cubase's fault.

You can download and use Reaper in demo mode (which only puts on a few seconds of nag screen at startup, otherwise its fully functional)

Ok might try that. What else is it likely to be if not Cubase? This issue has only started very recently. Cheers

Could be a lot of things.... a corrupted driver or plugin or settings file or even failing hardware.
You've got to do some detective work.

Am not sure if it's just coincidence but it crashes when I open an old song and take a sample and copy and paste into the new track. That's when it closes and takes all my editing with it :confused: heyho.

What exactly are you 'copy/pasting'? Is the project you are copying from an older version of Cubase or previous to having your MAC worked on? There could be some conflict there. Not sure.

Try exporting the track you wish to transfer to the new version and import it without having both Cubase projects open.

I am just guessing here as there is something conflicting going on. We just need to figure out what that is. It could be any numerous things.

What exactly are you 'copy/pasting'? Is the project you are copying from an older version of Cubase or previous to having your MAC worked on? There could be some conflict there. Not sure.

Try exporting the track you wish to transfer to the new version and import it without having both Cubase projects open.

I am just guessing here as there is something conflicting going on. We just need to figure out what that is. It could be any numerous things.

Thanks Jimmy, both projects were made in the same Cubase application. Is it a problem then to have 2 projects open at the same time? I then go between then deactivating one and reactivating the other while I c & p a sample. I will try importing the whole sound file, as you have suggested, and then playing with it in the current project. It does seem coincidental that this is the issue. Cheers for support, will let you guys know how progresses :thumbs up: nice one.

Back