Cubase Device Port Help!!!

Troyanderson

Hi, I'm new to recording and interfaces etc. I bought and set up a tascam us1800 and have it plugged into my computer which has cubase le5 downloaded. When I press F4, click on add bus, the first two device ports say mic in 1, mic in 2, on any bus after that it just says 'mic in 1'. Is this normal? I can't get all my mics setup on cubase. Please help!!

In Cubase; Devices>Device Setup...>VST Audio System. Select the 1800 from the drop down menu. Also check the 'Release Driver' box so that you can hear audio from things like Youtube or whatever when Cubase is opened if that is something you may need. After selected, you will see it on the menu to the left below VST Audio System. You will click on this then 'Control Panel' to adjust latency settings. Your inputs for the 1800 will now be available. Create a mono bus for each channel you will be using. Then select which one you want in the Inspector window at the left side of the project window for each track.

That should get you going.

Welcome to the forum! :)

In Cubase; Devices>Device Setup...>VST Audio System. Select the 1800 from the drop down menu. Also check the 'Release Driver' box so that you can hear audio from things like Youtube or whatever when Cubase is opened if that is something you may need. After selected, you will see it on the menu to the left below VST Audio System. You will click on this then 'Control Panel' to adjust latency settings. Your inputs for the 1800 will now be available. Create a mono bus for each channel you will be using. Then select which one you want in the Inspector window at the left side of the project window for each track.

That should get you going.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hey jimmy, got the device bus part fixed, but now my computer isn't recognizing any sound coming in. Any advice? This is getting rather frustrating./:

ALSO, I unplugged something's and tried plugging them back in, and now I'm getting a popping sound every second or so. It seems like everything is goi fine, and I can hear it in the headphones that are plugged into the interface, but it's like the audio signals are not being sent to the computer

Hey Troy,

It really seems you may need to take some time to watch some videos and look into the DAW (CUBASE) you are using. It can be quite complicated at first.

You are hearing 'popping' yet no input into Cubase yet? That sounds like a different issue....

Ok, FIRST, go HERE and make sure you have the correct driver for your interface and system (W7 64-bit, or 32-bit, or mac or...)

I am assuming you are on a Windows machine, so go to Start>Control Panel>Sounds. Select the US1800 as your default input and output device. Also, you should disable system sounds there. They can piss you off later.

Now, here is where you need to pay attention to videos on initial setup for Cubase. It is imperative that you learn the steps to enable specific bus for each track that you create in Cubase. Then, you also have to enable the track monitor to hear what you are recording, as well as disabling it to hear it back after you record. It seems you are missing one or a few of these steps.

Don't worry or feel like you need to stress out here. It is common. You just have to sit back and learn what needs to be done. It will make complete sense very soon.

I will post here a setup thing I wrote to someone else previously. I hope it helps:

You must first select the 1800 in Cubase. Devices>Device Setup...VST Audio System. In the drop down menu at top, select 'US-1800'. While on that page, check the 'Release Driver' box. This will allow the 1800 to play WMP, Youtube, whatever, while Cubase is open.

Now, go to Devices>VST Connections (F4 shortcut). Add a mono input bus. You will need to create a input bus for each input needed from the 1800. For each input bus created, you will left click on the 'Device Port' column (highlighted in yellow), and select the input channel of the 1800 that you wish to use. Leave the default Stereo output bus.

Now, create a track to record to. Project>Add Track>Audio>Mono.

In the 'Inspector' window at the left of the main project window, look for a symbol that looks kinda like this: >] SEE ATTACHMENT

This is where you select the bus you created in VST Connections. You will change this on each track that is using a different input channel on the 1800.

If you don't see the symbol, click on the track name at the top of the Inspector window to pull to the main Inspector screen.

You will need to also toggle the monitor button on the track to hear the input (it looks like a side view of a speaker). Toggle it back off to hear playback.
--to make this toggle automatically; File>Preferences>VST. In the Auto Monitoring drop down menu, select Tapemachine Style.

Let me know if this gets you up and running.

Attached Images

Attachments

• Cubase Track Input.jpg
    Cubase Track Input.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 15
I originally didn't have the popping problem, now it won't go away. It's only when the usb is plugged into the computer.mi don't even have cubase open, and nothing's plugged into the interface and it's doing this. It was only once I unplugged something possibly incorrectly. Any ideas?

I originally didn't have the popping problem, now it won't go away. It's only when the usb is plugged into the computer.mi don't even have cubase open, and nothing's plugged into the interface and it's doing this. It was only once I unplugged something possibly incorrectly. Any ideas?

Yeah man, start over dood.

Answer my questions and give your system info.

Anything you ask has no possibility of answer unless you start from the beginning.

Trust me, I understand. When I first started with computer recording I expected it to be as easy as a FB post. It is not. You have much to do just to get your system ready for recording. Then setup and learning how to get your DAW to do what you wish.

First step: research, listen to and respond to advice, and then ask questions after listening and researching.

I've started over and still no luck. The popping is gone. I think that was all about me not shutting things down properly. My problem is now it's not picking up the audio, and when I record something, it just deleting after I press pause or stop. I downloaded the tascam driver on my old Mac, and I. GarageBand it did the same deleting thing. Do you think I have a bad system? Tomorrow I'll try a different driver.

I've started over and still no luck. The popping is gone. I think that was all about me not shutting things down properly. My problem is now it's not picking up the audio, and when I record something, it just deleting after I press pause or stop. I downloaded the tascam driver on my old Mac, and I. GarageBand it did the same deleting thing. Do you think I have a bad system? Tomorrow I'll try a different driver.

Naw man, you are not starting over yet. You still have not answered the question as to what friggen computer you are using. When I stated 'start over'. I meant from the beginning.

Please stop trying to move forward before answering a question that I asked of you from the start. You state that you downloaded the Tascam driver on your old Mac. Well great, that still gives me nothing to go from. Tascam driver for any platform is completely different. :facepalm:

I may need to chill, because you remind me of my son...

Answer the questions I ask, or forget my help here.

I am trying to help. You are not helping me to do so.

My apologies, it's a HP pavilion dv7. I installed the new driver, so that's updated. I still would appreciate any help. Thank you. And as to being similar to your son, I'm only 18 so that's a definite possibility ha

Back