cubase 7 vs educational

Vigo

I was just wondering is it worth saving the couple bucks i think i could prove im a student but if i stop studying is there anything forcing me to buy the real thing? Im considering buying the real thing but im just wondering would it be just fine to buy educational...

Thanks for anyone who has knowledge on that

I actually just went through this about a month ago with my rep from Sweetwater. I ended up just buying Cubase 7.5, not the educational edition, because I wanted something that I could use as soon as I got it installed. Steinberg apparently likes to make sure that you're actually a student (which I am, full time, too) and, from what my rep told me, it might take a few days to from the time you receive the software to when you can actually use it. You get the entire Cubase package but have to prove yourself as a student prior to using it. If you can provide a legitimate transcript then go for it if you can wait to use it. I think the cost savings is around $150 off of the regular price; in my situation, I just didn't want to have to wait once I got it in.

All that being said... I'm pretty sure that you're in the clear if you're a current student and can provide adequate proof (not sure exactly what SBs requirements are, I just know they have to have physical proof); I doubt if they'd come up and hit you for the price difference later if this is your last semester or something like that.

There was a recent thread here recently where Guillermo corrected me on information that I thought was accurate. I had heard that if you buy a Student version, that you could not upgrade at the non student user pricing. I was wrong it seems...

From what I recall you will still get the same discounts for upgrades as a full price version would have as well with 'Student version' purchased initially.

If you can prove it and are a student, then take the discount man. Once you have the license, then you have the license.

Get C7 man! :)

one more kinda dumb detail i need, is it student in general or student in audio production or something related?

one more kinda dumb detail i need, is it student in general or student in audio production or something related?

I have no clue. Maybe ask at Steinberg.net/forums. Not having ever actually been a student nor purchased as such, I can't answer that.

Guillermo?

I'm 99.9% certain that it's a student in general, not necessarily related to audio production. I asked my Sweetwater rep the same thing and that's what he led me to believe.

It's student in general.

Get the full version, I started with SL3 student and I really wish I had just shelled or the full version right away.

It's student in general.

Get the full version, I started with SL3 student and I really wish I had just shelled or the full version right away.
Is there a difference though? From what I was told, at least with 7.5, there's no difference in the content of full vs educational - the only difference was the price.

Yeah there is no difference in software function. Only price.

Do it up man! I bought so much software in college for student discounted prices. Probably dumped a grand on software that should have ran me more like $2.5k.

The usual proof is your student ID card, or your student email address at the institution. If you are not a student on a recognised course, then I doubt they'd deem that satisfactory. On another piece of software I use I am teacher status - they wanted the address of the college. I have no idea if they contact them. With Cubase I'm a full price person, and happy with it. When you do upgrades, they just check you against the database.

I didn't have to prove anything other than being a student of higher education (not grade school).

My school ID says almost nothing, just the years it's valid, picture and name of the school and that was it and they accepted it.

I just scanned the ID and sent it to the vendor, easy as pie.

Back