Cubase 7.5 Major Audio Problems

aa17

I'm recently installed Cubase 7 onto my laptop, and upgraded it since to 7.5. However, there's some problems with it that are seriously affecting my use of it and my computer also.

1. Firstly, I can't hear any midi notes at all.

2. I can't record any audio with my microphone.

3. Songs on iTunes stop playing when Cubase is running. The cursor simply won't move when I press play.

4. Also noticed that videos do not work anywhere on the web. For example, video will play for a second then a message will appear saying "An error has occurred, please try again later".

There is something obviously wrong and Cubase is affecting things. Can anyone shed any light on these problems? Or at least explain why I can't hear any sounds when I put in notes. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Moved to the Cubase forum.

1. You can't hear midi notes. You need an sound source. The midi notes tell the sound source what to play. Try a VSTi or softsynth or route your midi out to an external sound source and record the audio from it.

2. You'll need to give a lot more information than that. What are you using? How are you trying to get it into the computer? What did you setup in Device Manager/VST Connections. There is a tutorial at the top of the Cubase forum that might help you.

3. There is an option to Release Driver for background app. Devices> Device Setup> VST Audio System> Uncheck box.

4. Did you try again later?? :p J/k. I have no idea about this one.

Did you have things all working before you upgraded to 7.5?

Cubase when not running would in no way effect video playback. Now if it is running, then you need to release the audio driver like Chili stated. Not sure why it would effect video playback. May be just a coincidence and you either have a network issue or maybe just need to update Adobe Flash. Is this PC or Mac?

Hi, cheers for the responses.

1. Yep, still cant hear midi notes. I'm using Halion Sonic for the VST instruments.

2. Not sure what else I can say. I plug in my microphone and the light indicates its on, but when i go to record, nothing comes out at all. Its a Snowball Blue microphone. Worked fine with cubase on my previous laptop.

3. The box for the 'Release Driver for background app' was already unchecked. I checked it and tried. Then unchecked it and tried. Still the same problem with itunes.

4. Installed new flash player. Videos are still not working on YouTube. Working fine when cubase is not up.

*I'm using a PC. WIndows 8.1. 64 bit.

*I was using Cubase 5 before on my previous laptop and was able to do all this relatively easy, i.e. record midi and audio stuff. Really don't know whats gone wrong on this one.

You should probably post up some screenshots so we can see what is going on. Use the Go Advanced menu at the bottom of the post dialog and click on the paper clip icon.

The snowball is a USB mic :( and does not have an audio out jack. Cubase can use only one device at a time. If you select the snowball as your input device, you have no output device. Not sure how you did it before. You might trick Cubase into using your computer speakers with the snowball if you use ASIO4ALL, but I'm not positive that will work.

iTunes sucks. (As do USB mics. lol)

I have not heard of anyone enjoying the Win8 experience in a DAW function.

I think there are a lot of changes between Cubase 5 and 7, but the basics should remain the same. You should be able to set up the same and have it work. not sure what's going on. Again, screenshots should help (as would getting rid of the USB mic and getting a real mic) (Can you tell I don't like USB mics?? :laughings:)

I have no experience with USB mics, but I assume that may be part of the issue. Cubase can only use one driver at a time and since the driver for the mic is not also not playing back the music, well I am just not sure how that works. You would want the 'release driver' box checked if you had an actual ASIO interface.

Windows 8 also presents problems from my end as I have no experience with it.

Why is it that you need Youtube and Cubase to work at the same time? Please explain your intentions here. Maybe there is a better way to achieve what you are looking to do...

Thanks again for the replies.

In terms of video, I don't actually need to watch them specifically. Its just that its obviously a sign that something is wrong, as well as the iTunes issue.

About the mic, I don't have it plugged in at all times. I just tried it when I realised something was wrong overall.

I've attached a couple of screenshots. Not exactly sure which one's you'd need though so any help there would be sweet.

I reckon its something to do with the interface and drivers (basically the stuff I have no idea about!). Before, HalionOne simply played out fine on my old PC. And the same mic in recorded audio fine also.

Should I check or uncheck the 'release driver' box or not to get Midi to play? I suppose itunes isnt essential for me whilst I'm on cubase so that issue isnt important for now.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Shot1.png
    Shot1.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 50
  • shot2.png
    shot2.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 51
have you tried changing the vst audio system to another one? that's the very first thing I would try, what is your onboard soundcard? that is why the audio inputs and outputs are yellow, because cubase isn't connected to a device, and whilst they are yellow you'll never hear sound, you need to make them white and you should hear something. under devices>device panel setup and vst audio system..

have you tried changing the vst audio system to another one? that's the very first thing I would try, what is your onboard soundcard? that is why the audio inputs and outputs are yellow, because cubase isn't connected to a device, and whilst they are yellow you'll never hear sound, you need to make them white and you should hear something. under devices>device panel setup and vst audio system..

Hell, I didn't even notice that...

Yeah, it seems you have not connected to the correct driver yet. Though, I have no clue as to what that would be with a USB mic. I myself have never seen those things in Cubase.

Pretty much not what Cubase is intended for. These type of issues come up all the time.

My opinion: If you are serious about recording something close to good, do yourself a favor and get a interface and a mic that is not subject to it's own inadequacies.

ahhhhhh, Ive been able now to change the stereo outputs so they're connected to my left and right speakers. I'm certain I tried this before but it wouldnt let me. Bit of a bonus that after doing this I've just checked itunes and youtube - all working fine now! Haven't got a clue why they were affected.

About the audio and microphone, that's still not working. It says on load up to "Open the ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Setup dialog". Any final advice on how to do this? I should be able to take it from there (i hope) Thanks again

Cubase.jpg

I went thru a lot of stuff trying to get Cubase set up to work with a USB outut interface and a different USB input - a real mic connected to a USB mixer, or my guitar thru my Digitech RP355. I was able to do it with the ASIO Directx full duplex driver. The only thing is I can't record my guitar and mic at the same time, but no big deal for me, I just go into the input area and check the other box. I'm not sure if this screen print worked, but it's supposed to be the driver's setup screen. I tried ASIO4ALL and got crackling noises. I did load both USB drivers (mic mixer, and RP 355) and they are listed in the ASIO DirectX dialog box. So, I think I am using native drivers (from mfg disk), but the ASIO is on top of them. Oh yeah, my mic is the USB Audio CODEC device on the input screen.

Your problem might be/is (since I have encountered these problems before, maybe not the mic one)

1. With Cubase 7.0.5 or 7.5 (these are the same products), you´ll need a midi device linked to your computer somehow. I myself run a keyboard of the brand and kind "M-Audio Keystation 49es", it has 49 keys on it (thereof the 49es) So...you need the device (a physical device) (or you may not, I sadly don´t know it yet since I´ve had Cubase 7.5 for around 2 months now), I may also add that my device is USB ported and can therefor be plugged into my computer at once, no bullshit, just "here-you-go".

THE REAL ANSWER IS HERE, sry for the detail: You need a device, you need to have it plugged in. You start up your choosen device BEFORE you START UP Cubase, since during the beginning of loading up Cubase, every devices, midi input/outputs etc. loads, and that is why.

After this, you start up Cubase, and in Cubase you hover over the top panel "Devices", click on it and go down to "VST Connections", click on it. A section of "Inputs and "Outputs" connections will be dissplayed (if everything goes as planned that is.), here click on the "Inputs" section. The section "Audio device" in the bar dissplays what type of sound driver/device you have (like an extended device as I have: "Focusrite Usb 2.0 Audio Driver" or an internal driver, as (something something). Go to "Device Port" and right click (with you mouse) on "Input 1" or "Input 2" to change the sound input. The same goes for "Outputs", make sure all of your devices go through the input section and out through your speakers on the output section. So you delete the current input and outputs and press on the "Add Bus", this is where you simple choose what kind of drivers you want where, left speaker or right speaker, or through both speakers, and to use. Now exit the "VST Connections" area.

And head out to "Devices" - "VST Instruments", now the fun starts. Click on it, and a bar will pop up, you can add any plug-in that you currently have installed in Cubase. Select any you want: Let´s take "HALion Sonic SE" under the section "no instruments". So now, wait until it has uploaded (the Plug-In), and before this a bar with the message "Do you want to create a MIDI assigned track to "HALion Sonic SE", in this case (since you are a beginner of the program) click "Create". Now everything should have uploaded, this brings you into the actual Plug-In, here you can do too many stuff to even remember.

Inside the Plug-In: If everything is connected proparly through your "VST Connections" section or that you have a good enough soundcard, a midi device (such as a keyboard) and drivers that work fine, you should be pretty much done to use midi. press a key on your keyboard (let´s say you have one) and if everything is fine there should come a sound from your speakers now, that is unless you haven´t turned them off or simply have forgotten to raise the volume on your computer (or speakers, if that was/is the case).

2. When recording an audio, you must make sure that your input and output directories are connected proparly, do the very same connection bit as I wrote earlier under "VST Connections". And also, turn your instrument on, or mic in this case. And have the right drivers for your computer, Mic and Cubase installed.

3. Itunes may be a large program when running it, requires some CPU usage, however we shall barely speak about how much an uncompressed sound can take on the CPU usage. I mean that Cubase is such a demanding program that you in this case either need an extended sound card, since your current can´t handle it, or get a better computer or extended CPU that can help your current one.

4. The same goes for videos, since internet can take up alot of CPU usage, I recomend you to get an external sound card, mine as I said is a "Focusrite 2I2 2.0 Audio Driver".

Yeah Cubase demands and if this wasn´t what you were looking for then I can´t help you. Sry for making you read such a CPU heavy usage post, Lol. ;)

Exact same thing for me. Just installed Cubase 7.5 on laptop with Windows 7. No midi playback, no iTunes, no YouTube or any other web audio, no Spotify...etc. Spotify says: There is a problem with your sound card."

Windows system sound do work however...

I have tried everything on here, but it does not work. Pretty sure it is because Cubase does not like the sound card and has shut it down in some way. Still waiting for my interface to arrive and so I think that will clear up the problem as that will be my new sound card and Cubase should have no problem with it.

Back