Best computer for Cubase?

SuperFuzz

I was thinking of getting a computer/laptop purely so I can run Cubase 4 on it. Can anyone suggest the best computer type for this (e.g Mac or somethin') and what specs? Cheers.

I have a Dell something or other, totally stock. Intel Duo and a gig of ram, standard 5400rpm hard drive, firewire integrated on the mobo.. I use it mainly for work, it's definately not set up to be a dedicated DAW in any way. It cost $1500 about a year ago.

I've recorded 12 tracks at once without even tweaking the ASIO drivers, and I've played back and mixed down 16 tracks with a couple plugins on each track. Not a single skip, glitch, nothing. EVER.

So I dont think it matter what kind of laptop you get at all. ANY modern system will do the trick. I think faster CPU, more memory, and fast hard drives are only necessary if you're going to be doing a LOT of tracks, or if you're gonna try to use plugins for fx during tracking or something where you need to shave latency down as low as possible.

You can save $ by getting a desktop instead of a laptop. Before my laptop I was using an old P4 desktop with 2Gb ram, it was running as many tracks as my laptop is now, and just as well. That PC was put together about 5 years ago and it cost about $1200 at the time. You could put together a Cubase-worthy desktop for prolly $500 nowadays.

Ya

I two have a stock dell laptop and I am running Cubase Le4 and I've recorded 16 tracks at once with out a latency or recording problem and mixed about 20-25 tracks with a few plug ins here and there on them without a problem
As stated above pretty much any modern computer is able to handle the task.

Hey man, Im a newb so you might want to take someone elses advice hah, but I figured Id at least tell you what problem I am having as I type.

I have a custom build PC with windows xp pro, 2.21gHz processor, 1.5g RAM, 500g external harddrive. Recently I got a Firestudio project with cubase LE4 on it. I recorded some guitar, went in and EQed adding a couple of plugins just for kicks, and stuff and it ran fine. Then heres where the problem came in. I recorded drums, 8 tracks, everything went it fine, but when i went to mix and playback, major problems. I started adding EQ to the drum tracks, and reverb, and some compression. When I tryed to play back the guitar with the drums, the computer shot to 100% CPU Usage, started skipping, and poping, and then just froze. I tried about 5 different times recording, hoping that it was just a bad drum/guitar track, but I dont think it was.

Im still not sure what the problem is exactly, could be computer, could be something else, but i have a feeling youll need better specs that what I have.

And I agree with suprstar, get a desktop and save money, but if you are going to be going to friends houses and stuff to record or dont want it in just one spot, a laptop should do the job. Im not sure what your price range is but here are a couple that looked good to me!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834100019

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115493

Best of luck to you!:D

Well, I've got a Dell Laptop at the moment with these specs: 2 GB RAM, 260 HDD @ 5400rpm. The reason I was thinking of buying something new is because I want a computer that's just for Cubase, whereas this laptop also holds my work on it.

Do you reckon I should just get another Dell? Or, since I've got the opportunity and money, should I get a Mac? I want to get the best I can. Oh, I tend to make projects with 40 tracks on, or more. What do you think? And in light of that info, do you think I need any adjustment to my specs when buying...i.e more RAM or somethin'?

Oh, I tend to make projects with 40 tracks on, or more. What do you think? And in light of that info, do you think I need any adjustment to my specs when buying...i.e more RAM or somethin'?

Yeah, idk, I never had any projects that big. I'd get as much ram as possible, as fast a CPU as possible, and if it's a laptop, a fast external hd.

superfuzz, whats your pricerange?
and you can never go wrong with getting as much RAM as possible, but I think 3 or 4 gigs would prob be better than fine.

You can save $ by getting a desktop instead of a laptop. Before my laptop I was using an old P4 desktop with 2Gb ram, it was running as many tracks as my laptop is now, and just as well. That PC was put together about 5 years ago and it cost about $1200 at the time. You could put together a Cubase-worthy desktop for prolly $500 nowadays.

Exactly! My new system cost me right at $500 to build and that's including the 1010LT card I stuck in there! Runs Cubase 3 like a champ, so I would imagine Cubase 4 would do just fine. :)

Well, since I am in England I've got about £1000-1200 to spend, so that's about $1600-1800. What speed CPU should I get?

Forgive me for bringing up the PC/Mac topic. I'm currently in the market for a new computer and am debating whether to get a fairly cheap but powerful PC running Windows 7 or an iMac. They each have their pluses and minuses, I understand, so I'm just looking for the best investment. I plan on using this computer for as long as possible as I normally do not spend large chunks of money and I don't update my computer every 2 to 3 years.

Any recommendations for which OS works best for Cubase? Does it matter? Which platform would be the best investment?

Also, I work mostly with recorded instrument tracks, the occasional mechanical drum beat, and I like to use lots of effects, compression and equalization plug-ins. I do not, however, use VSTi's or have any sample libraries. Though I am interested in learning a bit of MIDI and maybe incorporating that into my projects.

While I am an osx user running cubase. Cubase most definitely runs better on a windows machine. Such is the way it is.

Hi there Cubase people!

I just signed in to this forum..... as an old guy and Cubase user for many years it sounds to me that you Bendrix has an analog background and kinda wish to do the same work and mixing with your computer/DAW.

I have just opgraded to win 7/64 bit and running Cubase 5. My expirience to get the most out of your money is to buy a noname PC.... likely build at a computerstore near by where you live. Go for as many cores as possible like Intel i7 cpu and at least 12 GB Ram with 2 big harddrives running 7200 rpm and 64 mb cash. I exspect you have a dedicated ASIO soundcard for I/O. Go for a silent case with no fancy videocard and a good psu.

I bet you sooner or later will go for VSTi and even without midi knowhow yuo will find it vere usefull. You always needs more space than you can imagine ;-)

Optimize your computer for audio and KISS ( Keep it ssimple ) and you will love your DAW an be able to do close to 100 tracks with more FX, EQ and inserts than you would dream on ;-))

Good luck and rock on.... /lydtek - dk

I use intel core i7 and this processor is awesome, soundcard MAYA 44, 8 GB RAM and some less important things.

Back