vs 880 tracks

periscope

can anyone tell me if it is possible and how to take say i record 3 tracks can i than put all three of those on one track and save space or is this not possible thank you for any responces

Yeah, it's possible. You can do one of 2 things:

1. Go into TRACK mode and set 3 inputs to RECORD on one track -- if you do this you're stuck with the levels of the three sources respective to each other, because you record the 3 sources as one track, one data entity.

2. You can Record three separate tracks, either simultaneously or separately, and later BOUNCE those 3 tracks onto one.

But I'd keep tracks separate if you can, because then you're not stuck with the mix levels of those sources in a combined track. You have virtual tracks; I say use them to your advantage.

These aren't specifics, but maybe tell me which of the options you want to do and which operations you don't know how to perform (if possible), and I or someone else here can try and talk you through it. OR, perhaps you can find a way that you don't NEED to combine.

If you're going to bounce tracks, try to use MAS mode. If that's too few tracks (only 6) and too storage-intensive, go no lower than MT1 mode. Seriously. It'll sound like ca-ca in MT2.

Looking ahead you should seriously consider dropping tracks into your computer. The software available (Acid, Sound forge, cakewalk, etc.) is easy to use and totally eliminates the space crunch issue.
I record with a BR8 and just drop it into Acid. I tried everything to avoid the computer and the bottom line is my options and finished product are better.

No more bouncing !!!

yeah, as long as I'm tracking at home, I must admit, I'm generally tracking in Pro Tools LE via a Digi 001 now. I use the VS for recording live stuff, and since I'm restricted by how many simultaneous inputs I can use, I don't ever come up against not having enough tracks available. But if the VS is all you really want/are able to use ...

well gg ive got my rythem guitar on one track and my leads on another and vocals on three but what i was wanting to do is put those three on one track to buy me some space for micing out the drum kit and so forth when im ready thanks all

High!

Keep the tracks as virtual tracks, though. You might discover lateron, that your submix is not ideal. So if you record your drums, play back the submix for the drummer and when doing the final mix, think of using the original tracks. Thats what I did quite a lot of times... no sometimes :D

You got so many virtual tracks that you should be able to work a lot with that method. Important thing: keep a proper track sheet on which you note what tracks are what... I even tend to record two or three takes of each instrument onto one track and then later be able to comp the resulting tracks...

Just an idea...

aXel

periscope said:
well gg ive got my rythem guitar on one track and my leads on another and vocals on three but what i was wanting to do is put those three on one track to buy me some space for micing out the drum kit and so forth when im ready thanks all

OK, I agree with Axel about keeping your source tracks (so you have those as well as the tracks you bounce) AND about keeping a track sheet ... like copies of the one in the back of the manual (I created one in Excel based on that sheet, but modified it a bit for how I really work).

A question: do you have 3 tracks of vocals, or are you saying your vocal work is on Track 3?

If it's the first, you probably have enough tracks available without any bouncing:

1 vocal track
2 guitar (one rhyth, one lead)
1 bass guitar (haven't seen this mentioned in your description)
4 drum inputs (max)

8 tracks total.

As for drums, I'd say, considering you're going to be submixing (combining multiple tracks) and bouncing with the VS, try to mic your drums with a maximum of 4 mics (2 overheads, 1 snare if you need it, 1 kick). Keep it to 3 mics if you can. Submix (bounce that down) to a stereo pair.

If you have 3 vox tracks, I'd do this for your final submix landscape:

1 lead vocal -- keep separate
2 harmonies -- keep each separate or bounce a stereo pair
2 guitars -- keep separate
1 bass guitar -- keep separate OR bounce with kick drum
2 drum tracks -- either just stereo overheads in original format, or a bounce of 3 or 4 drum tracks bounced as a stereo pair.

Total: 8 tracks.

I hate working with such a limited number of tracks ... that's why I go into the computer with it all now. But if your not going that route, I this is probably what I'd do .... consider that the role these instruments play in the song will dictate which ones are trickiest to mix in -- the tricky ones you should keep separate (not submixed) for as long as possible. Does this make sense?

Back