VS 880 Help

shveditall

I just purchased a VS 880EX with thecd burner. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for the VS 880 that might be useful

Thanks alot
George

My only tip I can offer would be to use the E-Z Route button a lot. That's ALL I ever do with mine. But I send the tracks to Cakewalk, so you may need to learn more. The VSPlanet website is a good place to visit.

This is a massive question. Only a few things concrete I can tell you:

1. record as hot as possible WITHOUT digital clipping. (So on the meters, it won't ever get up to the max ... I like what I hear at about 60-75 percent of the level capacity, and lower than that if doing drums/cymbals, b/c lots of that high-freq. energy doesn't show up on the meters).

2. Get your gain from an external preamp if possible. The VS's suck.

3. Record in MAS (the 16-bit uncompressed mode) whenever possible. There's a big difference between that and MT1, especially after layering several tracks. And if you're doing any bouncing, this is the only mode I've found that can tolerate more than one bounce and still sound worth a poop.

4. Check out VS Planet (www.vsplanet.com/bbs). Awesome BBS for all things VS with lots of dedicated users.

The rest is just experiment and read/ask questions here and at the Planet. Learning how to use these to their maximum is an ongoing and, hopefully, enjoyable journey.

Cheers,

gg

geekgurl said:
Record in MAS (the 16-bit uncompressed mode) whenever possible. There's a big difference between that and MT1, especially after layering several tracks. And if you're doing any bouncing, this is the only mode I've found that can tolerate more than one bounce and still sound worth a poop.

Really? I've never noticed any difference in quality from bouncing, & I've only ever used MT1.

To be honest, I never really knew what the differences between the modes were anyway, since I got mine used & it didn't have a manual. What's MT1, then?

High!

MT1 used the Roland DATA compression. Roland says it is lossless, but everybody seems to doubt that (me included ;)) MAS uses no compression, but you can only use 6 tracks...

Perhaps I found the difference why some people swear on the lousy quality of MT1 and others don't...

Whenever I bounce, I prepare everything and do the bounce. Then I listen to the bounced track. If there is something I did not like, I correct it and re-record. I gave up listening to the stuff while bouncing, cause it seeme to sound different than the bounced track as well as the played tracks...

Perhaps that's why I never noticed the lack in quality ;) I only used MT1 as I like to have 8 tracks and want to have the best quality available under that condition...

Axel

Sir_Matthew said:

Really? I've never noticed any difference in quality from bouncing, & I've only ever used MT1.

To be honest, I never really knew what the differences between the modes were anyway, since I got mine used & it didn't have a manual. What's MT1, then?

Oh, I can hear a difference ... sometime, when you have time, record 4 tracks of a song in MT1 ... then re-record the same 4 tracks as a new song in MAS (you must bring NEW source -- new performances -- thru inputs again; don't just transfer WAVs from the MT1 song into the computer and then dump those into the VS). MT1's lossy compression doesn't really become apparent unless you have multiple tracks ... and that IS what your stuff becomes eventually.

If you have a decent monitoring system (properly placed nearfields, or high-quality studio headphones) you'll be able to hear it. And that's without any bouncing.

The quality levels for Roland's Digital Audio Compression (RDAC) (it IS data compression, though ... I think that's what the acronym stands for) modes, in order of descending quality, are as follows:

1. MAS (pure 16 bit, no compression)
2. MT1 (the least-corrupted compressed mode)
3. MT2 (noticeable compression)
4. LIV ("Live" mode, very noticeable compression, but you can record your Grateful Dead jams or perhaps your own version of "freebird" without running out of disk space)

Sending Tracks to Cakewalk

How do you send the tracks to Cakewalk....assume I don't have any idea how to do that and you'd be right
Thanks

monty said:
My only tip I can offer would be to use the E-Z Route button a lot. That's ALL I ever do with mine. But I send the tracks to Cakewalk, so you may need to learn more. The VSPlanet website is a good place to visit.

Maybe “send” wasn’t the best word to use there. I make a digital ‘copy’ using the spdif connections. It requires a soundcard with spdif connections as well. I use a Delta Dio with optical connections. Also midi connections to synch more than 2 track ‘copies’. In other words, 2 tracks at a time are copied using only one optical cable. To copy the next 2 in synch with the first 2, the midi machine control has to be set up. The computer is the master and the 880 is the slave. Same as hooking up two 880’s to run in synch. The settings required for Cakewalk and the 880 are in their respective manuals. If you need more specific advice, don’t be afraid to ask more specific questions. ;)

Back