vs-1824cd vs. yamaha aw2816

jtnicolosi

Hello.
Does anyone here have or had a good deal of experience with a vs-1824?
First off, ASIDE FROM A STEEP LEARNING CURVE which I don't care about, how do you think it compares to the Yamaha aw2816. Does the roland except exteral effects? Can you use external preamps? Does it have waveform editing that you can actually hear, unlike the aw2816? Just give any information that you know that would make one machine superior to the other. I greatly appreciate any info. you can give. I already have an M20 adat setup, I'm just doing some research for a member of my band who wants a workstation, NOT A COMPUTER SETUP. I don't know too much about these workstations, but I think these two are the best choices. (can't go over $2000)

High!

As I thought a lot on this topic (might buy a second DAW in some times) , I may be able to give you some hints (I own a VS880EX, which I like a lot...)

Roland:
The FX seem to be better than the aw's. All people who heard both say that the aw's verbs a.s.o. sound 'too clean'
You got (if you buy two FX cards) 4 stereo FX. The FX comprise a lot of stuff and also multi effect chains. If you combine two FX, you can use them as a mastering toolkit with multiband (3-band)compression, multiband expansion, limiter and EQ.
I don't know, but you MIGHT be able to record 10 tracks at once (8x analog 2x digi)
You have the choice of using coaxial or optical digital ins/outs which may serve you as a 'poor mans digital patch bay'.

Yamaha:
Channel dynamics with soft knee
4-Band-Parametric-EQ for all channels (vs. 3band on the VS)
Expandable with additional I/O or FX cards.
Uncompressed 16 Tracks
Wave Import/Export
I think I has got word clock options -- NO
Motorized faders
100 Scenes
16 automix candidates (?)

Well... I'ts somehow hard. IMO, the AW gives a little more for the money, especially if you have external an multiband compressor. Both unit should be able to give you the possibility to create decent recordings. Both will allow for external effects, you can go out through digital/analog out and into through digital/analog in (I have NOT tried this on the aw - don't own one. On the VS it definitely IS possible to got out AND in digital. Your effect must be able to do this - my triple C is.)

Oh yes one more thing: I have heard that the AWs are rather sensitive to sudden power loss: you may get some trouble with these machine, they might not boot correctly a.s.o.

Axel

Last edited:
Back