Thread: VS-1824CD failes to write disc

iLuvbase is offline Registered User

VS-1824CD failes to write disc

Sign in to disable this ad
    I just got this 1824 about 2 weeks ago - and am familiar with tracking from using a 1680 previously - however when I used the 1680 I only did the recording on it, never the mixdown, master, and burn.

My issue is that I have recorded all the tracks - mixed them down to the 2 stereo master tracks (17-1 and 18-1) and have tried to go ahead and burn them to disc, but it always says "function failed" once I try and write. I haven't placed any track markers, or anything like that - just recorded a couple of tracks - used the Mastering Room to dump them to the 2 tracks, which do play perfectly fine when checking Mplay feature and listening to them, and then selecting those 2 as the stereo pair when I want to burn.

once to the CD-R writer screen - it appears as

44.1k MTP
    Lchannel 17-1 V.T 17-1
    Rchannel 18-1 V.T 18-1

Marker : 0
    Length 4m 39s
    50 MByte
    IDE Free >2146 MB

then the right side shows
    Finalize : Off
    Write Method: Track at once
    CD Speed - x4

Disc: Blank Disc
    Track: 0
    Used: 0 MByte
    Free: 846 MByte (though it's really only a 700 MB disc)

The only thing i've noticed so far - is that although it is a VS-1824CD, the IDE shows all the partitions to have a 1680 format. And I happened to look at the export song section - and it only lists the ability to export to 1680 - not 1824.

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

mjbphotos is offline Been Here, Posted That
    The default for master tracks on the VS-1824CD is 17-16 and 18-16 - might that be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    The default for master tracks on the VS-1824CD is 17-16 and 18-16 - might that be the problem?
    No - when I mixed down i specified it to vtrack 1.

Just for grins - I took the recorder tonight to my buddy that has the 1680 and a SCSI CDRII - he recorded a track, mixed and mastered, and tried to burn - just like he does on his 1680 - and the write still failed. I'm beginning to worry that the burn portion of the CDRW drive is bad - but it reads and captures audio from CDs just fine - just won't write.

Unfortunately he didn't have his CDRII available so i couldn't hook it up and see if it would send the burn to that drive - but I'll check that friday if I don't find a solution before then.

BentRabbit is offline Drumb & Drumber
    I have a 2480DVD that used to exhibit the same type of behavior...

I have run a CD optics cleaner through it (seemed to help some) but haven't had a problem at all once I stopped buying the cheapest blank CD-R's on the shelf (Memorex in my case)... Even though those CD's worked fine in my computers, the drive in my 2480 didn't like recording on them.

Paying a couple $$$ more for better quality blanks seems to have taken care of the issue for me.

Hope this helps!

mjbphotos is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Is it possible the unit will not burn to CD-RW and that is the type of disc you are using (or vice-versa)?

Richard Monroe is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Yo Base! I recorded an entire album on a VS1824CD, and this is one where I think I can help. First, get a CD cleaner disc and clean the lens in the CD-R drive. Then, go to Guitar Center or get on line and buy some high quality CD-R's, preferably by Taiyo Yuden. Microboards work fine. The 1824CD is wicked picky about what media you feed it, and tech support at Roland actually hinted to me that the CD-R drive was modified precisely to reject Chinese CD-R's. I'd pretty much bet a week's pay that your problem is the CD-R's you are using.-Richie

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Monroe View Post
    Yo Base! I recorded an entire album on a VS1824CD, and this is one where I think I can help. First, get a CD cleaner disc and clean the lens in the CD-R drive. Then, go to Guitar Center or get on line and buy some high quality CD-R's, preferably by Taiyo Yuden. Microboards work fine. The 1824CD is wicked picky about what media you feed it, and tech support at Roland actually hinted to me that the CD-R drive was modified precisely to reject Chinese CD-R's. I'd pretty much bet a week's pay that your problem is the CD-R's you are using.-Richie

Finally got it to burn. Verbatim 74 min/650 MB - 4x-12x CDRW disc. Only a disc problem, just as you said. Thanks.

Thread Information