Using the vs with pro tools

chance

I have a friend in Chicago who uses the Roland VS. I would like to work on some projects with him. I use the Mackie and Radar HDR's which are compatable with Protools. I am totally unfamiliar with the VS. Is there any way to integrate the VS with PT?

I have a friend in Chicago who uses the Roland VS. I would like to work on some projects with him. I use the Mackie and Radar HDR's which are compatable with Protools. I am totally unfamiliar with the VS. Is there any way to integrate the VS with PT?

Most VS series DAW's can import and export WAV files.

Depending on your friend's setup, there are other options that may be available as well.

:)

Some of the older VS models *don't* export WAV. files, such as my VS1824CD. You can do it, though. I exported an entire 12 track, 13 song CD to Pro Tools, and it was a royal pain in the ass.
We inserted a four beat click track into one track, and copied it to the other tracks. Then we ran 2 tracks out at a time, in S/PDIF, in real time. Then we sync'd all 12 tracks by the click tracks, manually. It was then mixed in Pro Tools, then mastered. At least the S/DIF format uploads without further degrading the signal (mostly). Also, by going into the Roland by S/PDIF, you bypass the Roland's A-D convertors, and its preamps. Whether you can just exchange WAV. files depends on what model your buddy has.-Richie

Actually the guys over at vsplanet wrote some software so you can export wavs from Rolands format. I've used a VS1680 for a couple of years now and before this software I was hating life exporting two tracks at once with SPDIF. Now I just backup a bunch of songs to CDR, import with the software and export to wav. I can then import to whatever DAW I like. Everything lines up as it lines up in the VS. Works like a champ and much faster.

Good luck,

- Mike

Back