syncing a VS-1680 and a Fantom together

wolfdogg

Hello all,
I just got a Fantom keyboard. I've recorded a rhythm track and a bass track that I want to send to my 1680. Any ideas on the best way to do this? I've had one suggestion that I use MTC, but I've never done this, so I'm not even too sure about where to start with that. Specifically, I'm wanting to make sure that the tracks are recorded exactly as they sound....so that my drum track bounces from left to right, as it does when i listen to it on the keyboard itself. If I could record both tracks at once, it would be ideal.....
Can anyone help?! Thanks in advance!
jsk

You should be able to hook up a midi cable from the VS MIDI out to keyboard MIDI in. Set the keyboard sequencer to external sync and hit play.

It's never quite that easy but those are the steps to get you started.

Wolfdogg...

I think I know what you want to do, but have no knowledge of the Fantom...
Question...does the Fantom send MTC. If it does the task is easy... if not, it still can be done but with a few more steps, using MidiClock for syncing.

If the Fantom has only a stereo out, then plug 'em into two different input channels. The first time you record ...send your drums, and route these to (as example track one and track two. After you record the drums, return the song position to "0" and next route the inputs to track three and four, and record, in sync, the rest.

Now in order to record in sync...plug a Midi cable from the keyboard out to the VS midi in. On the VS...you need to record a sync track. Now hold shift and press Ext Sync then press F1 (StRec) ...."wait for start command" should appear. Now Start the playback of the Synth and play it to the end of your song...then stop it. The VS has now recorded the midi clock signals on an invisible track so that the VS can now control the synth.
Now put a Midi Cable from the Midi out of the VS to the Midi in of the Synth. Set the VS to send sync track.....press Play > hold Shift press System > press MIDI > go to Midi thru and set to OUT.....> hold shift press Ext sync > go to sync Gen...set to Sync Track > press Play.

Now set your synth to receive midi clock sync signals as the slave...and you're ready. Set up the VS for Recording the first two tracks... start recording and the synth will start sending the drums. After that, set the VS to record for the next two tracks, and when you record again ...the second recordin will be in exact sync with the first.....

More questions..? Ask...hope this helped.....kendall ... success.

I will get on it and give these a try. The Fantom does do MTC. I figured out how to do the sync...as far as hooking up the cables and hitting play on the fantom and having that control the record and play on the 1680. I haven't actually tried to record anything other than 1 line out of the headphones jack so far...just to be sure the sync worked.
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try!
jsk

ok kendall (or anyone else of course), ...i've tried and tried to no avail. i can sync the two up through mtc. that is working perfectly. actually, it was surprisingly easy. i hit play on the fantom, and the 1680 starts recording. i hit stop on the fantom, the 1680 stops recording. i'm getting sound. i'm recording out from the fantom...output a and output b....2 separate cables...going in to the 1680...tracks 3 and 4. But then....I take my headphones, plug them in to the 1680 and listen.. all the stereo sounds are gone. Everything is recorded in mono. im sure this is just a setting or something..but i just can't figure it out... this may require the knowledge of someone else who owns a fantom. any ideas? thanks...

Got It!!

Much thanks to Popmann at vsplanet.com for giving me the answer. Link=On has to be set for the pair of tracks that I record out to. This worked like a charm! Relief...elation..joy.. they are all mine. whew!
;)

Back