Syncing BR1180 with BR8

welldonep

Hello folks . . . my scenario is this . . . I have some (many) recordings that I have done on the BR8 (using all 8 tracks) . . . I purchased an 1180, and would like to complete these songs syncing the BR8 and 1180, and 'adding' the rest of my tracks on the 1180, then master them on 9/10, and then write the cd. I have quite a good grasp over most all of the functions on the br8, aside from midi, so the 'dorkus-cabronus' in me cannot figure out how to make this happen. Here's what I've done thus far: I have a midi cable going from the midi-out on the BR8 to the midi-in on the 1180. I have an optical cable hooked between the two (but realized that they both read 'out'). There are only two midi settings on the BR8 . . . the MMC is set to 'Master', and the Ryhthm Midi Channel is set to 16. On the 1180, there are many settings, of which I don't understand. MMC mode has only two options . . . 'Master' or 'Off' (no 'Slave'). I set this to 'Off' assuming that the BR8 is the 'Master'. Ryhthm Note Channel is set to 16. I don't know what to enter for the rest of the settings . . . which are: Midi Fader (off/on); Track 1-8 Channels (1-16); Ryhthm Fader Channel (1-16); Master Fader Channel (1-16); and Expression Fader Channel, which does not apply here.

If I understand correctly, if synced right, when I press play on the
BR8, the 1180 should also play in sync w/the BR8. I do notice that
when I press play on the BR8, the midi led on the 1180 flashes, so it seems to be receiving midi signal. Also, I thought that the
optical/digital cable would carry the audio signal to/from the BR8
and 1180 . . . and the midi cable was used for syncing, and driving the rhythm between the two, correct? So with that in mind, do i need to have the line-outs on both the BR8 and the 1180 connected to my control room amp, or should I simply be able to have the line-out of the 1180 connected because the audio should be received from the BR8 via the optical cable?

I apologize if this is confusing. It sure the hell is to me! If anyone has done this successfully, I would greatly appreciate some
assistance with the indivual settings, as my 'theoretical' grasp of
this does not lead me to figuring this out.

Thanks people.

Cheers! Peter

I wish I could help with the answer. If you found out the answer please write back and let us all know. I am very curious.

Steven

Back