Some true home recordings on my BR1600

jedblue

beep beep beep beep beep
Not much activity in this area so I'll stick something in it given that I've got a Boss BR1600 (and especially since Dave stuck up his Tascam digital post today in the Tascam forum)...

I have this alter ego called Donald Deep Jeffs who does all original blues and country tunes that he records on a Boss BR1600 up in his untreated home attic studio directly under the Sydney International Airport main final approach flight path. He writes all the tunes and lyrics (if you can call them that), plays all the instruments and does all the vocals and all the tracking, mixing and mastering as best he can on an 'all in the box' doohickey like the BR1600. He uses a few cheap mikes (57, NX2, B2-PRO and B5), no computer and no room treatment (and his complete lack of talent). Mostly he sticks to real instruments recorded with microphones in front of them or their amplifiers.

He has become skilled at looking out the attic roof portholes to the north and timing the incoming flights to dodge the noise. He's also got three school age kids whose bedrooms are directly underneath the attic so late night noodling sessions are also out. Timing is everything for Donald.

He's been making his stupid little tunes up and recording them himself on the BR1600 for the last four or five years and he thinks he's been getting better at it. However he could very well be the exception to the 'practise makes perfect' rule.

He's been gradually introducing new instruments to his stuff as he learns to play them but he hasn't been doing much recording lately as his other sibling personalities have been heavily involved in the all analog world. However he does go and play his bass in the local blues jam on some Wednesday nights and plays drums in a blues garage band on most Thursday nights so he does keep his end up in the real world (even if he only goes for the beer).

So far he's made up 16 tunes of a varied nature but they all still live in the range that most would call 'crap'. He's stuck them all on mp3.com where for some unknown reason he usually stays in the top twenty on the blues charts week in week out. I can feel him getting a bit restless now that the all analog stuff is starting to settle down and flow along nicely. Tune number 17 has been sitting half finished for the best part of a year but he's starting to look at finishing it off over the next few weeks. He thinks he can do an even better job on any new stuff after all the recent work in the analog domain.

You can find Donald here http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=31094 where you can noodle about as much as you like with what he has so far managed.

He's made a few albums for other people on the BR1600 as well and he's even thinking of getting another one now that they are starting to get into the obsolete lifecycle range. He figures he can sync them together for a full 16 tracks on input and thirty or so on playback and given that he's trying to convince his garage band to do a live album, he's going to need more than eight at once to do that. He doesn't really want to go the computer / interface / DAW route. Another one should come up on Ebay at the right price soon enough.

He kind of likes the little BR1600 despite it's 16 bit technology, advancing years and editing limitations and is unlikely to upgrade it or replace it until it dies (especially if he does end up with another one).

Here is his logo, it's self explanitory really;

:)

Attachments

• DDJTURKEYsmall.jpg
    DDJTURKEYsmall.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 21
Back