Running VS 880 XVpanded into SONAR via spdif

ZPphreak

Sorry for posting about this again.. I know that other's have discussed similar topics recently even... I just couldn't find any threads with my particular setup in it. I'm using SONAR 2.0 XL, for those who will probably need that info. My DAW is the Roland VS-880 with the VXPanded option installed.

Here's what I want to do:

I want to record the tracks that I have on my VS-880 onto my PC using SONAR and my SPDIF input on my Creative Audigy Platinum Ex input card.
I also have MIDI in and out ports on my Sound card break out box. I understand that I can somehow make SONAR and the VS-880 "talk" to each other and somehow tell the VS-880 to "play" the track when I press "record" in SONAR.. thus being able to sync the tracks in the end. Doing it this way, if I understand right, I will be copying/recording two tracks at a time from my VS-880 to my PC (into SONAR) (By paning one channel hard left and the other hard right). I will then have to repeat this with any other tracks on the recorder in order to copy all 8 tracks from teh VS-880 to my PC for editing/mixing in SONAR.

What I am curently doing:
I am running audio from the VS-880 to my PC via spdif (By paning one channel hard left and the other hard right). I press "record" in SONAR and then press "play" on the VS-880. once the two tracks are copied into SONAR, I then repeat with the next two tracks on teh VS-880 and so on until all teh tracks are copied/recorded into SONAR.
After this is done I have to sync each pair of tracks up by ear or by aligning the graphical waveforms where possible. This is what I want to avoid. I want to simply set a locator point on the VS-880 for the start of each song and rewind to that point each time I record another pair of tracks in sync to the PC. That way the VS-880 is always starting from the same point...

If anyone knows where i can Find a tutorial on using SONAR 2.0 and the VS-880 together That would probably suffice.. Unfortunately I have to bother you all with my problem because I can't find this particular setup in any other thread. A walk through would of course be VERY welcome.

Thanks in advance for the expertise I KNOW frequents this Forum!

-Brent

zpphreak@thesaltines.com

I’ve used Pro Audio 8 and 9 and towards the back of my VS880EX manual there is an illustration and text regarding the hook-up of 880 to Cakewalk. There’s also some mention of it in the Cakewalk manual. It’s basically a midi sync issue. The settings for each have to be correct. Make the 880 a slave and Sonar the master.

880 settings;

midi thru = out
sys ex rx = on
sys ex tx = on
mmc = slave
ctr local = on
ctr type = excl
pc scne = on
pc eff = on

in sys sync/tempo;

source = int
syn gen = mtc
mtc type = 30

Cakewalk (Sonar?) settings;

Source = int
Syn gen = mtc
Mtc type = 30

Start with those settings and tweak if necessary. You should be able to control the tracking without touching the 880. It should rewind or go to any track position you go to in Sonar. You will have to set the levels on the 880 as you probably have already found out. When it’s set up right and working right, it’s sooo cool. Good luck.

Back