Roland VS1680 transferring to computer.

Chilljam

transitional phase
Hey guys,

Just wondering how can I get audio tracks recorded on the VS1680 onto the computer? I don't have an audio interface and was hoping I could somehow use this. Currently the only way i can see is just using the analog line outputs and plugging a RCA-3.5mm cable into the line in on my laptop sound card. It doesn't sound too good and I'm hoping to avoid this unecessary DA then back to AD conversion.

Can I somehow use the SCSI? or the digital out?

Also how would you compare this to a 8in-8out typical Tascam firewire interface in terms of AD conversion quality?

Awesome, thank you!

Do I want a 2.5" SATA to USB converter or IDE to USB? In other words, is the standard 2.1GB Roland VS1680 hard drive SATA or IDE?

Awesome, thank you!

Do I want a 2.5" SATA to USB converter or IDE to USB? In other words, is the standard 2.1GB Roland VS1680 hard drive SATA or IDE?
IDE. And if you want to use other hard drives don't worry about them not being the exact match of what comes with the unit. I've used several different brands with no problems, and lower capacity used drives are a dime a dozen. If it's bigger than 2.1GB the unit will still recognize the drive, it just won't recognize the extra capacity of the drive.

Ok, I've got a 2.5" IDE - USB inclosure. I've fitted the Roland hard disk into it and everything works so far.

I have two hard drives appear on my computer, VS880ST25B(F:) and VS880ST25B(G:). G:/ is empty but F: drive has one pluginfx file, 8 song files and a system file and songlist file. All the files are in .VR6 format.

I load up VS Wave Export (which I got from the good library site). I can't get anything it to read anything and show up in the Roland drives and files. Tried 'dragging' F: and G: from windows explorer into VS Wave Export but nothing happens.

EDIT: After running VS Wave Export "as administrator" It immediately shows up with PHYSICALDRIVE1 and three partitions drop down.

only partition0 has my 8 project files all with correct names sample rate etc.

However when i click on a project, a window comes up saying 'Unable to load project!'
Also tried partition analysis and once again the songs load up and when i press play or save them, i just get a buzzing sound for about 1 sec and that's it.

Not sure what else to try?

Cheers.

I believe that has happened to me and it was because I recorded in the wrong format. It will work only with songs recorded in these formats:

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 43
Hmm... I don't think that's the problem. These projects were either M16 or MTP.

Anything I need to do on the VS recorder before I can transfer it to the computer? Like these are just project files, no mastered songs no backup songs...

Also just tried a MT2 and still no good, in fact... when i put the hard drive back into the Roland recorder, they showed up on the songlist but I couldn't open up any of the projects or delete them. So I formatted the drive and made a new song, did a quick test recording and tried putting it back into the computer and still same thing happens.

Try plugging the hard drive back into the computer and resave the songs. I may have had to do that once. But if the files are gone when you plug it back in, I don’t know. :confused:

I just pulled a hard drive out of my Roland and everything worked the way it should. I'm using Win XP.

There's some recovery directions in that zip file. Maybe they would help?????

Last edited:
Ok got it.

Plugged the Roland HD to the computer (through USB) and formatted it using windows. Plugged it back into Roland VS and did the IDE Initialize including test and then did a quick test recording and when I plugged it back into my computer it worked and managed to output the files as WAV.

Thanks for your help!

“Try plugging the hard drive back into the computer and resave the songs.”

OOOOPS!!! That’s not what I wanted to say. :o What I should have said is plug the hard drive back into the Roland and re-save. Sorry. But if you got it going, good. Sometimes you just have to screw around with stuff for a while before you get it. :D

Back