Roland VS series versus PC

steve10358

Hello.

I need to get into home recording. However, I am stuck with several questions.

1. Why did you go with your VS Roland, rather than going PC with an Mbox or software?

2. Would you have done it different, if you were to do it over?

3. Are you satisfied?

4. What advantages are there to going with an all-in-one console, rather than a Computer based system?

Thanks!

Steve

There are many long threads on vsplanet regarding this.
For me, I work in IT and can't stand the thought of dealing with a PC for my recording.
When you have problems who you gonna call?
The PC vendor? The Software vendor, the hardware interface vendor? In fact how will you determine where the fault lies?

Both have obvious advantages and disadvantages.
Portability, cost features etc.
A PC based system is likely to cost more, with individual components purchased say vs a 2480 using all the internal included stuff at least to start.
One is a closed system (Roland) the other open.

I use the 2480 AND a PC for mastering, best of both worlds.
The 2480 is fast and easy to work with compared to a PC.
Very little mousing around to get going. I can work very fast compared to dealing with a PC, with all the hardware features built right in to the 2480. An automated work surface alone costs this much for other pC platforms, and in fact the 2480 can be programmed to be a work surface using MMC, and/or can incorporate inexpensive PCI cards to take audio 16 tracks at a time directly to your PC for further processing. It has it's bugs, but their getting to be less and less with time passing as Roland issues FREE updates, unlike PC software companies.

It is smart to be looking at this before any purchase.
I record with a BR8 and drop tracks into Acid for mixing.
It is extremely convenient, and I like using the amps in the unit. I also use a vamp for modeling different sounds for my guitar. Its not the same as using a mic and amp but I don't have the resources to screw around with that. Convenience is the main thing with my system and I can record 24/7 without waking the kids (unless it is singing!)

I know nothing about using the PC for recording. There is alot of info on this site for that. I do know that my setup was fairly cheap, and does a really nice job!
Best of luck!

I use a VS1824CD and a Korg PXR4 not only for portability, but largely because I cannot tolerate the noise generated by a PC. As it turns out, my tracking station, control station, vocal booth, and my office are all in the same room. When I am tracking, I have to actually unplug my computer because the hum from my printer's transformer, even when turned off, will be picked up by every mic in the room. I believe that recording with a PC requires more isolation than my setup will permit. Yeah, tracking with a PC might be a little more cost effective, but not when it includes $20,000+ worth of building modification. Now all I have to do is figure out how to isolate the hum from my mic pres, power conditioners, etc.-Richie

I have owned a VS-880 for about 3 years and in the past six months just about all I use if for is to record and then migrate to the computer to mix with nuendo. Which as soon as the budget allows I'll be purchasing an maudio delta 1010.

So yeah, *I* would do it differently this time.

Since I have a dual Pentium III/866 w/ 512m RAM and 100G of harddisk space stacked in there and have had no problems with both audio and video production.

The point is you need a pretty fast machine and then add the audio interface card, monitors (computer kind), and software the investment is alot more. But as far as I know it's alot cheaper to upgrade a computer to last longer than to buy a new recording deck every 2 years.

"Why did you go with your VS Roland, rather than going PC with an Mbox or software?"

I actually use both. I own the 2480 but I mix down to PC and use the PC for ACID files, Soundforge, Wavelab and other programs. It seems to work well for me. I am an old school knob and button and fader type (which is why I like the 2480) but I like using the computer for more simple things like wave editing and two track mixdown.

"Would you have done it different, if you were to do it over?"

No. The only thing I would have done differently is more research on mic's and other equipment when I was first getting started. It took me a while to discover what was crap, what was good, what piece of gear I needed and or didn't need. Websites like this can be a big help when researching gear.

"Are you satisfied?"

Yes. I am getting good quality recordings with what I have but I'm always looking to improve things such as mic's and my "ears."

"What advantages are there to going with an all-in-one console, rather than a Computer based system?"

Well, for a while it was portability but computers are catching up. Now, you can have a nice little rig with a powerbook and a motu firewire unit. With the all-in-one boxes your control surface is already there. It's just a matter of personal preferance I guess.

Good luck in your decision! It's a great time to be recording!

VS vs. PC...

... Wow, this is one of the great dilemmas of human history, like "whistling vs. singing," "red robes vs. gray ..."

Sorry, just an obscure Jonathan Swift reference for those of you into 18th century satire ...

"1. Why did you go with your VS Roland, rather than going PC with an Mbox or software? "

I got my VS880vx in 1998; at the time, seemed the best compromise of cost-effectiveness and features. NOW, I don't necessarily think that's the case, BUT it could be depending on your needs. Read on.

"2. Would you have done it different, if you were to do it over?"

Alas, I would've recorded in MAS mode, not MT1. I can hear the difference, and for that matter, I can hear the difference between what's recorded in the VS (keep in mind I have an old one, but the AD converters on all VS units except the 2480 really are subpar compared to computer sound cards -- this from a number of people who have experience with several VS units and computer setups). I've spent the last few months re-doing "crucial" tracks (lead vox, piano, some bass, some drums) on CD's worth of music I recorded on the VS.

I'm recording this into a Digi 001 but using an external AD converter which sounds slightly better (I need the 001's extra inputs often enough to justify having that over the MBox).

"3. Are you satisfied?"

I don't want to imply I don't like the Roland unit because of MY results; but I find it IS easier for a newbie recordist (which I consider myself) to make better recordings on the PC. And I'm comfortable with the PC -- I'll add drives, go into setup and change stuff with specific instructions -- but no expert (won't start messing with reg files or DLLs for the hell of it). IF you're queasy around computers but have a lot of experience recording, you'll probably get better results from the stand-alone units. I do think in some ways, though, they are less forgiving because of the sound quality at input. Again, this is comparing a VS880vx to a Digi 001 (which doesn't have the best converters from a card, either, but it IS better).

I still have the VS880 and intend to keep it for its portability and built-in effects/guit. sims.

"4. What advantages are there to going with an all-in-one console, rather than a Computer based system?"

This is indeed the "rate the dogma" question. I can only simplify it to ridiculous proportions: PC is more upgradable, has (in most instances) better converters and therefore possibly sound quality, is more complex. Is quite possibly, if you already OWN a computer even cheaper now than a VS or other stand-alone. It's definitely cheaper than the stand-alones that are considered to have "pro" converters. As for the VS: portable, conveniently all-in-one, less complex.

It seems like I have an obsession with converters, and I really don't ... it's just that after the obvious feature choices (number of tracks, ease of use, etc.) it's really a "sleeper" factor that effects sound and is best addressed when researching your hardware purchase. If you're just getting started recording and need to learn the basics, the quality of converters will be the least of your worries.

Hope this helps in your research ...

Last edited:
Geekgurl, help me out here, you seem to know your consoles. I was under the impression that VS1824CD and VS2480 used the same A-D converter. Is this not true? The 1824 has only one S/PDIF in, so if I need more than 2 simultaneous tracks, I have to go in analog into tracks 3 and 4. I know the older and smaller VS units use different A-D converters, but what can you tell me about the 1824? Thanks in advance- Richie

Back