Roland VS-840 advice?

blisteredskin

I've just purchased a Roland VS-840 and whilst its on it way to me through the good old british postal service i'm doing a bit of research so I can get stuck in straight away.

Im a newbie with the whole music-technology industry and i'm slowly learning the technical side of things. I have the musical talent after learning my instruments for 6-7 years, but my home recording knowledge is limited to reading a monthly home recording magazine once a month and having a years experience on a Tascam 414mk2.

I've bought the Roland because i'm getting a bit more serious about working on my solo project and recording at home. I just love the whole "sitting in my room whilst recording with no time pressure" thing. I also got fed up of the analogue/ tape hissing sound quality.

I have just started learning about frequency response and impedance so i'm getting there. I have purchased a semi-decent (£80 / $120) microphone for recording too.

So what do you want you ask?.........

Well. I 'm looking for anyone with experience on the Roland VS-840 who can give me any tips on successfully creating the best sound quality recording I can get.

My solo project revolves around an acoustic guitar and my vocals.

What are the in-board effects like on the machine? Is the reverb any good to apply to my vocals? I've been listening to my acoustic CD's like "Days of the New" and their guitars soun wonderful! I have a wonderfully sounding guitar, but when I record onto my Tascam it's lacking effects. What would usually be used to make it sound warmer and less scratchy???

thats basically my main question.

any help would be appreiciated.

many thanks everyone, this site is really great for us newbies!

blisteredskin,

What kind of mic did you buy?

I would recommend that you go here and join this site immediately:

http://www.vsplanet.com/

There you can talk to people who use your specific machine, and can answer practically any question you might have.

Taylor

for effects on both vocals and acoustic guitar i really like to use the reverbs, the chous and the vocal multi. i would begin with the reverbs, they are nice and not too drastic of an effect. many of the other ones can be interesting when you want to be creative but i think you may find them a bit too crazy. a few of the guitar multis are o.k. but some give off an extreme intention buzz or hiss. remember if you like the effect but there is just too much of it, you can reduce the effect level instead of just finding a new one.

i had a tough time getting started as far as learning how to use the machine. i think my problem was that i was trying to follow the manual more than i needed to. everything is common sense & you will learn on it fast by just hitting buttons.

Blistered, I like to use a Pre Sonus Blue Tube mic pre-amp. Gives your mics a nice punch. Plus, if and when you get a condenser mic, you'll already have the phantom power built in.

ya i love my 840 it definitely rocks after tape. the first thing i noticed is its so quiet. then i went nuts trying to do ten tracks not good. then back to basics ya great. buy a preamp and a good condenser mic must have best of luck

Back