A Roland BR-1180?

A7X

One question about this device:

Can I hook this up to my computer and if so what will I need to do so?

Thanks.

I'm sorry my question it not as clear. I wanted to hook it up to my desktop computer and record with the BR-1180 but use a program on my computer like Cubase.

I doubt it. Roland handed over production of their stand alone recorders to Boss and although they made some high end machines, never quite managed to keep up with computer technology.
If your machine has midi I/O then you may be able to use it as a control surface.
You can always do all of your recording on the stand alone then transfer the files onto your computer.
That's what I do with my Korg.

Jim Lad has it right - you can record on the 1180, then transfer tracks/files over to your computer. It sounds like that is what you want to do.
Note that some people find these stand-alone recorders with hard drives to be noisy (disk drive itself) - enough so that if you are using a sensitive condenser mic near the unit, it picks up the sound.

That's one of the reasons ($$ the other) that I chose the BR-600 - uses memory cards, so no hard drive noise.

Keep in mind though that when I say "Too noisy for me", I'm being really, really fussy.
When I asked on the Korg forum, I think I was the only one who chose to record in a different room from the recorder.
I'm using figure eight ribbons so I pick up sounds from both sides of the mic.
If I went back to condensers, I could sit in front of the console like all the rest. It's a very quiet "Hard drive hum", just the same as you hear in your computer but with no fans and quieter than the Tascam Neo which I also checked out.
Just thought I'd qualify that.

Back