Recording drums w/ BOSS BR1180?

napoli187

Anyone know a good way to record drums with this unit? since it only has two inputs, and one is for vocals only, can you only use one centrally placed mic? any help would be greatly appreciated

I don't have the BR-1180 but I do have a BR-8 so for recording is the same technique. Using the "SIMU" mode, having two mic plugged in, use the "Time/Value" and select "By-pass effect". Doing this turns off any effect that 1180 tries to apply for voice & guitar in SIMU mode.

Here you have a choice of using two mics in 'x' pattern for stereo recording (do a search for this because you need to get the angle of the mics). I than panned the mic inputs for a natural sound.

What I did first was record all the parts of my song(s), bass, guitar(s) parts, with a drum machine. I than recorded my drummer, he used the 'e' drums as a click track. I recorded him on a pair of "V-tracks", after I was happy with the results, I erased the 'e' drums and bounced the bass & drums as a stereo pair.

The BR-1180, like the BR-8 was designed for the bedroom musician not really for 'live' recording but with creative mic'ing you can record live. We (my band) ended up buying a used VS-880EX so we could have more inputs. I brought my BR-8 just to make song demos.

Back